is a 40 hp Suzuki a good deal?

coosarunner

Seaman Apprentice
A friend of a friend is selling an 80's model Suzuki oil injected outboard. He said he bought it newly rebuilt for $1400. I haven't seen it but have seen pics. It looks really good, gray/green color, with reconditioned prop. He said it has been used half a dozen times since bought. It cranked up fine two days ago. Anyhow he wants $800 for it. I currently have a 650 merc that needs carb work.It is on a 17ft '72 Bomber. I thought the Zuki might run good on the boat, or on a john boat. Any advice?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: is a 40 hp Suzuki a good deal?

Outboard Non-repair.

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

$800 for a 40 hp is a great deal if all the info you have is correct. Might not be quite enough pop to make your 17 footer perform great. Ask him if you can take it out for a day and see what it will do.

phatmanmike

Captain

paul, where do you live that makes 800 for a 40hp a good deal?<br /><br />its only a good deal if it is what fits your needs and wants exactly. if you have to comprimise on ANYTHING, its not a good deal. no matter what it is!

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br /> paul, where do you live that makes 800 for a 40hp a good deal?<br /><br />its only a good deal if it is what fits your needs and wants exactly. if you have to comprimise on ANYTHING, its not a good deal. no matter what it is!
Note that I did suggest he take it out and see what it will do and mentioned it may not be a great fit for his boat. Just a different way of saying the same thing you did without talking down to the guy.<br /><br />I'd like to know where you live that you can find the used motor that meets your exact needs and get it for dirt cheap. Local markets do vary, but $800 for a newer 40 HP motor in good shape is a good deal. I live in Minnesota. $800 would be a fair price for a newer 15 HP motor in good shape and you would have to spend more like $1000 if you don't want to wait for the good deal to come along.