New Boater wondering how to use Racor filters

ADKLittle

Recruit
I'm new to owning and maintaining boats, and I don't know how to inspect, drain or replace my Racor fuel filter.<br />If there is liquid in the blue glass should I drain it (does the glass only trap water?)? <br />Should I drain the glass with the motor off or running?<br />How often do you check it? How often do you replace it?<br />Etc, etc, etc.........

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Boater wondering how to use Racor filters

If you have a water issue it will be apparent as the water will collect in the bottom of the glass bowl.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Andrew, the bowl is always full of fluid, the only question is whether it is water or fuel.<br /><br />I've used a Racor with clear/blue bowl for several years, and I honestly can't visually tell if it's water in the bowl or fuel. I suppose if I got down on my belly and looked at it very closely, I might be able to but I doubt it.<br /><br />What I do is simply drain it periodically (every few hours of operation, or before every trip if I remember) into a small glass jar that I keep on board. Any water in the bowl is on the bottom and will drain first and then when it changes to pure fuel, you can quit draining. If there's no water in there, you'll know immediately and can quit draining. At most, you will have just a few ounces of contaminated fuel to discard.<br /><br />I change the cannister every season, maybe mid-season also if I'm using the boat a lot - but I only put 30 - 50 hours on it a year. I first remove the entire cannister+bowl and then remove the bowl from the cannister. This second step generally requires two "oil filter wrenches" - one for the cannister and one to grip the bowl. Experiment with the various types of oil filter wrenches to find the one(s) that work on the bowl. Any sort of strap-type wrench will work on the cannister because it's just like an oil filter. Racor makes a special plastic tool to grip the bowl and I bought one - but becausse of the way my filter is installed, I don't have enough clearance to use it. Like oil filters, there are O-rings that need to be inspected and lubed.<br /><br />Your main danger is inattention - if you don't drain the bowl periodically, and it over-fills with water, it can affect the fuel going to the engine. But, again, that's easy to prevent with periodic attention.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

PS: I drain the bowl with engine off.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I try to drain out after every 10 gallons of gas.

ADKLittle

Recruit

Thank you for the info. I must say I'm surprised it wasn't available on the Racor site, thank goodness for this one. <br /><br />I drained it today, but because I didn't have a glass jar I don't know how much water I had. It didn't seem to take long before it got kind of Pink from fuel though. I guess my rough problem is from something else.<br /><br />Thanks again