Deck Fill Fuel Ground

jarway

Seaman
Recently installed the following deck fuel<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...k fill&**********=261394073&*******=324483605 <br /><br />which has a grounding screw on it. Thought I saw some discussion about not grounding deck fills if it is SS with a chain retainer for the cap. Assume because of potential for creating a spark with the chain. This deck fill has a plastic cap retainer and a grounding screw on the fill neck. I assume that I ground to the battery grounding system? I am putting in a grounding buss in the Center Console that I could run it to.<br /><br />Those of us that are just getting into the details of boat restoration really appreciate the wealth of advice that comes from the discussion on the board. Thanks in advance for any help.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deck Fill Fuel Ground

The short answer is that if the fuel fill has a metal body regardless of what the cap or cap retainer is made of then the fuel fill must be grounded. If fuel fill has a plastic body regardless off what the cap or cap retainer is made of it does not need to be grounded. The change in the regulation was for plastic body fuel fills with a metal cap or retaining chain no longer should be grounded.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Deck Fill Fuel Ground

Boat topic.