Which is a better plug: Autolite, Champion, or Denso???

butteco

Seaman
I want to change my plugs because they got all fouled up from running out a tank of older gas (couldn't drain it, tank is built into hull)... <br /><br />I have an 1976 Evinrude 85HP. <br /><br />I currently have Champion Marine plugs but I have heard Champion plugs suck. NOBODY CARRIES NGK in my area (farm town). But I did find Autolite, Champion Marine, and Denso plugs. <br /><br /><br />Which ones will be the best choice for me? Or which would you choose? <br /><br />Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which is a better plug: Autolite, Champion, or Denso???

There is nothing wrong with Champion plugs -- besides, they are specified by OMC. By using another manufacturers plugs you run the risk of getting a slightly different heat range (hotter or colder) than specified which can cause performance issues.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ah.....the echo problem surfaces again...

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Champion are good plugs for marine applications. There are some better choices for certian automobiles. GM - AC, Ford - Autolite or Motorcraft, and Chrysler - Champion. I cant explain it but some car makes dont run well on Champion, thats where they get a bad reputation. They are good plugs. I cant prove how or why but my Chevrolets ran best on AC and My Ford on Motorcraft or Autolite. My 70hp Johnson takes Champion and they are excellent.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whats the echo problem.....?????

butteco

Seaman

I double posted again!!!

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh....

gss036

Commander

I had never heard of DENSO plugs until about a month ago, a friend was using them in his John Deere lawn tractor w/Kawasaki engine and it died while he was running it. It had Denso plugs. It was the second dead set of plugs in less than a year, so I really would not even consider using them myself. Mercury like NGK's.<br />My Stihl saw won't run worth a hoot w/Chamions, saw guy said to throwm them away and he sold me a German made plug which works great, so I buy into the above theory about plugs and engines.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Just use the plug brand and number specified by the engine manufacturer and enjoy the "best" plug.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

From the other post;<br /><br />Which is the better plug? Hard to say. Which is the better / correct plug for your Evinrude? Champion. <br /><br />Your motor was built and designed for Champion plugs. Thats what you should run. Just like Mercs and Yamahas were built and designed to run NGK's. Thats what you should run in them.

kkj

Seaman

On my cars I use and on my two-strokes engines I use NGK nowadays. Before I did use Champion, Bosch and Autolite.<br />When the plugs are new they all seem to do well but the NGK seems to do well longer period then the others. <br />Why? Different material or construktion? I haven't yet been able to figure out.<br />On my racing two-stroke I DARE not use anything but NGK.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by kkj:<br /> On my cars I use and on my two-strokes engines I use NGK nowadays. Before I did use Champion, Bosch and Autolite.<br />When the plugs are new they all seem to do well but the NGK seems to do well longer period then the others. <br />Why? Different material or construktion? I haven't yet been able to figure out.<br />On my racing two-stroke I DARE not use anything but NGK.
Funny how it works with different people...my experience with different motors is exactly opposite. NGKs work but not as long as Champions. The only time I used NGKs continually was in a Kawasaki 2 stroke ultralight plane engine. NGK has a hotter plug by one range than Champion and the motor needed the heat to keep from loading up when descending.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I use either Champion L78V or NGK BUHW-2 in my 1989 75HP Mariner and i've found absolutely no operational variances between them.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used Champion QL 77 CC & NGK in my 95 225 Merc EFi & see no difference

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Put whatever you think is best in your airplane, snowblower, Merc, lawnmower, Yammy, race car or weed whacker. For Johnny Rudes follow Dhadley's advice.