age of evinrude zephyr motor

chimengs

Recruit
I am trying to find out the age of a evinrude zephyr motor that I have, the numbers on the plate of this motor are, 4359 03237 I would appreciate any information that someone can tell me!<br />Thanks!<br />michael

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: age of evinrude zephyr motor

Welcome to Iboats, Chimengs!<br /><br />Evinrude Zephyr Model 4359 was made in 1940 and 41, just before Evinrude switched over to war production. That serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1940 rather than '41 although there are no differences between those years.<br /><br />Spark plugs are Champion J6Cs (replacing J6J), the engine produces 5.4hp. Bore is 1.5", stroke is 1.375". I don't have much more than that on it. I've been wanting to get my hands on one of those little critters. After all, how many 5.4hp 4 cylinder engines are out there??

CATransplant

Admiral

Hey, Paul!<br /><br />There are three Zephyrs on eBay right now, all going for pretty cheap. That was the first I'd heard about this little 4-cyl. outboard. I'm stoked about that. That has to be about the smallest production 4-cyl. engine ever. I know Honda made a 4-cyl 50cc road racing motorcycle engine way back in the day, but the Zephyr is a production piece.<br /><br />Fascinating. I'm going to watch for one, too. Just the thing for the 8 ft. classic dinghy I'm thinking of building.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi CA,<br /> You should have seen the 2XZephyr that was built by a guy from New England a few years back. He welded the crankshafts together, hooked up an automotive distributor ignition, remove all exhaust housings and let 'er rip. Talk about noise! 8-cylinders, 11-horsepower! <br /> In general, the 4-cylinder Zephyrs have a mixed reputation. The carbs are finicky, to say the least, but if you have one set-up correctly they're a fine running little motor. They do have their following in the old outboard circles and there is a pic of several of them running at the same time in the newest issue of The Antique Outboarder (www.aomci.org)....<br /><br />- Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

Cute. An 11-hp 8-cylinder engine. Line enough of 'em up and you'd really have something there.<br /><br />It's kind of too bad they fire two cylinders at the same time. You don't get the same exhaust sound you would firing them one-at-a-time.<br /><br />I did hear a recording of the little Honda 4-cyl 50cc motorcycle engine. It ran at about 20,000 rpm, and just howled. They only built it for factory racing bikes, though, and I don't think any have made it to the collector's marketplace.<br /><br />I'm fascinated by multi-cylinder small engines, I guess. I'm just going to have to find a Zephyr, just to have one, I suppose. Looks like the eBay ones aren't going to go for all that much.<br /><br />If I can find one for about $100, it's mine.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Zephyrs often go unsold at swap meets for $40.00. They are quite common....<br /><br />- Scott