NavMan 2100 or Standard FF41

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Are any of you using either a NavMan 2100 or Standard FF41 fuel flow monitoring system? They appear to have identical features but the NavMan is about $55 cheaper. Any problems associated with either one?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: NavMan 2100 or Standard FF41

I use the Standard Horizon FF 41. The day I was purchasing (a couple of years ago), I found the SH cheaper and there was a rebate going on. I bought from Bethel Marine, fwiw.<br /><br />I FIRMLY believe these two units are the same, with just the face plate different. If you feel like it, try to find on-line manuals for the two units. I believe you'll find they are identical (the manuals) and show that the two units have exactly the same sender, the same wiring harness, same functions, same size digits and only differ in the look and feel of the buttons, but are idendical in what the buttons acually do.<br /><br />So, I guess I'd recommend buying whichever is cheaper or whichever vendor you prefer. By the way, after needing to get a new unit on warranty, I'm very happy with my SH unit and find it very handy to have. I did a "review" on it a couple of years ago.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for your response D. I suspected the two were identical. Bethel Marine's web site says they are out of stock on the FF41. Guess I'll order the NavMan.

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

Upinsmoke: You won't be disappointed in the 2100.<br />Nifty gadget. With gas where it is you can't go wrong with it. Surprising what just a little throttle movement can do to your fuel flow(good or bad). Enjoy!

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />The Navman Fuel 2100 will be just fine. But remember to calibrate it with an exact amount of fuel (the more the better). Otherwise You will get as much as +/- 10% error in readings shown.<br />I have the Navman Fuel 3100 that can be interfaced to a speed input source like GPS so it can then also display Nautical mile per liter(or gal) so You get fuel economy (the higher the number shown the longer you can travel per units of fuel).<br />I have my 3100 interfaced to GPS (NMEA) on my Raymarine 435i.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

RE: the calibration - Don't they claim 5% accuracy out of the box? I seem to recall my SH unit guaranteed 5% accuracy out of the box- at any rate it actually was within 5%. I ran a measured 20 gallons through it and when it said 20, I had just less than a gallon left. So I was happy - I went ahead and recalibrated but haven't actually run a large volume test since. <br /><br />Not to say he shouldn't re-calibrate; he definitely should.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />No it is +/- 10% out of the box. It is mentioned on Navman FAQ section for Fuel solution (the North America region FAQ):<br /><br /> http://203.167.230.122/qiss/scripts/FAQFrame.htm <br /><br />"Erratic Reading?" (16 rows from below)<br /><br />Frequently Asked Question <br />FAQ11102638 for Product: 'Fuel Solutions' Category: 'F41 2" Digital Fuel Kit, Single Engine Fuel Kit, Single Engine Fuel Kit, Dual Engine Fuel Kit, 2100 FUEL, 3100 FUEL' <br />Title: Erratic Reading? <br />Question/Symptom:<br /><br />Why does my fuel computer is giving high or erratic readings? <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> <br />Answer/Solution:<br />1) This problem is almost always caused by air getting into the fuel suction line before the flow transducer. Check all of your fittings up to the filter for signs of air leaks. The metal clamps, if over tightened distort the flow transducer tails and allow air ingress. This air then accelerates the turbine, which consequently becomes erratic and over reads.<br />2) Check that the fuel line is clean, i.e. that the transducer is not clogged up with dirt, and check that the turbine is spinning freely. This can be done by very gently blowing into the turbine and listening for a whirring sound. This must be done carefully because the turbines are made to spin in petrol, which acts like a lubricant. If the turbine is spun too fast in air the bearings can be damaged, in which case the transducer will be ruined.<br /><br /><br />3) Each flow sensor is generally accurate to +/- 10% out of the box and as each fuel transducer will have slightly different characteristics then onboard calibration may be required. We have found that by methodically going through the manual much calibration related problems are solved. There is a good section on calibration in each user manual.<br /><br /><br /> <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> <br />Published: 21/12/2001 10:26 <br />Last Updated: 26/3/04 03:04

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

In trying to remember the factory accuracy of my SH FF41, I went to the website- they're no longer offering it, so it's not even an option anymore I guess.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

While wasting time looking for the SH FF41 (as I mentioned above, evidently not offered any more), I found another "clone" of the Navman unit - Faria fuel Manager. Many options for style also.<br /><br /> Faria fuel manager

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

They all look alike. The three brands - hard to tell any difference. Faria seems to be a little on the pricey side - compared to Navman.

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

Upinsmoke: Check Boaters World for Navman. Excellent price - $129.9 Free ship over $100.00

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Thanks -- that price is what I've seen on a number of sites.