Painting Suggestions for Evinrude Motor

papakevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, this really isn't a repair question, but I hope someone can help. I just purchased a boat with a 1988 Evinrude 48 SPL motor and the paint on the motor looks really bad. Is there any reason I shouldn't try to repaint the motor? Thoughts or suggestions on how I could find the original color paint for the motor? Is there any reason I couldn't paint it another color? Anything I shouldn't paint? <br /><br />Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

herters

Cadet
Re: Painting Suggestions for Evinrude Motor

You can paint it ANY color you want.It's your motor. Resale might suffer a little. You can find a link on this site for fizz cans of the "right" color. Of course the right color will vary a lot. Mfg date, batch of paint it was painted from, fade from the elements etc.,etc.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

I think this qualifies for non-repair.....moving over to outboards, non-repair...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Here is a repaint I did of mine last year (1987 V4s). As you can see I changed color. The original color was metallic charcoal. I used automotive synthetic enamel (sprayed - not the rattle can) and lots of sweat. <br /><br />
DSCF00051.jpg

papakevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice work. Thank you for the feedback. I think I'll paint mine a deep blue color, since my boat is white with blue trim. Again, the feedback is appreciated.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've painted a few motors now with the OMC/BMC/BRP paint. The paint is excellent quality and produces great results. In fact, I painted a '89 40hp (similar motor to your 48spl) last year in dark Evinrude blue. I put the motor up on eBay and it sold in 1/2 a day (buy it now). I did come out nice, buyer left good feedback too. That Johnson/Evinrude paint is good stuff.

papakevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to track down the OMC/BMC/BPR paint in the dark Evinrude blue. It's Exactly what I'm looking for!