1987 Mercury 90hp oil tank leak

des53

Cadet
Hi,<br /><br />Great forum that has increased my general knowledge of outboards - and been very helpful addressing a couple of specific repairs.<br /><br />Here's one I can't find using the search function (maybe I'm not using the right search criteria).<br /><br />I have a 1987 Mercury 90hp 3-cyl with oil injection. Doing some spring prep work on the boat and motor last weekend, I visually checked the two stroke oil level in the tank (under the cowling) and made a mental note to add oil before taking it out since is was a little less than one-quater full. There was nothing out of the ordinary.<br /><br />Returning from a week long trip out of town, there is now a puddle of two stroke oil beneath the engine - and the two stroke oil tank is empty.<br /><br />There aren't any visible cracks in the oil tank or oil line - in fact the oil line still has oil in it.<br /><br />It seems my two options are adding more oil to the tank to see if I can spot the leak - or - pull the tank and line for a better inspection.<br /><br />Has anyone run into a sudden leak like this? If so, what was the cause? Does anyone have suggestions before I proceed?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />David

des53

Cadet
Re: 1987 Mercury 90hp oil tank leak

Dang it...I thought I was posting this under the Mercury repair forum. My apologies - and I'll repost.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 Mercury 90hp oil tank leak

Okay, des53. I appreciate that. :) <br /><br />I'll close this one for you.