mercury verado 4 stroke

grunt32

Recruit
We are presently looking at purchasing a new trophy center console boat with a mercury 4 stroke verado 200 to 250 hp 4 stroke. Can you troll with these engines at 3 mph without incurring any problems or do you still require a kicker?

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury verado 4 stroke

Hi,<br />I do not know. <br /><br />But I read an interesting thing in a boat<br />magazine about Verado You might want to know.<br />A Verado has rather high center of gravity and<br />weight at the back of the outboard, if the boat<br />is not designed to handle this it can be a risk<br />the transom can not handle the stress that will<br />be caused by this. <br />They tested a Verado 275 hp and the boat was<br />Windy Oceancraft 760.<br />What happend during the boat test was that the<br />outboard was almost on the edge of leaving the<br />transom, the whole transom had cracks where the<br />Verado was mounted. The test team said because<br />the Verado has high center of gravity and has<br />it's weight much to the back (not forward) You<br />get a huge lever effect that place much stress<br />on the mounting points on transom.<br /><br />So It is probably wise to make sure the boat You<br />are going to hang a Verado on is designed to use<br />an outboard like a Verado. Not all boats can<br />handle it obviously, like Windy Oceancraft 760.

Trophy23

Seaman

Hi, I would like to point out that Mercury's parent company Brunswick Corporation owns and builds the Trophy line of boats now. So they should be able to tell you if the Verado is a good match and give you some kind of transom guarantee. <br />I own a older Trophy 2305 model and have had a 200 Verado on the boat only for a few break in hours thus far. Everything seems ok, with no new cracks thus far from trailering or under power. I had motor put on the existing jack plate, but I added some transom stiffners before the installation to try to be on safe side. I honestly have not noticed much more set down in water than with the 220 Mariner I had before even though the weight is 230 pounds more. But I don't have much time yet as I haven't brought it back out of winterization. <br />As far as trolling at 3mph, I do not know. There is no boost from the supercharger being delivered at the lower rpms from what I can tell. I imagine a lot depends on type of prop, but it will idle down to 550 rpm and the smartcraft does have a troll control for speed setting(not sure about SC1000 monitor model, but rest do). I don't know if the gas mileage or the wear on a motor is worth putting that kind of time on it when a trolling motor usually is under 3 grand to replace and the Verado whould be a WEE bit higher. :rolleyes: But Merc must think it's ok cause they have the troll function on the smartcraft. I'd have them take you out in one that is outfitted with the motor and find out. Most places that sell these motors also have at least one to demo. I personally have both for safety and for less hours putt putting around on the Verado. Might want to check out the article on powerboat-reports.com as they tested Merc Verado, Evinrude Etec, and Yamaha 4 stroke on identical Wellcraft 23ft center consoles. Does cost about some bucks for the report, but might answer some of your questions.

gss036

Commander

I am not interested in another subscription, how did the ratings turn out? The link is just a teaser.<br />I guess if I had to repower right not I would look at the E-Tec and Suzuki 250's 1st. Other than corrision problem listed on the Suzuki board I haven't heard anything bad.

Trophy23

Seaman

Link was not meant as 'tease'. Power boats articles are completly unbiased and this is how they stay in business. You do not have to subscribe to get articles. If you read their instructions you get a lower cost if you do per article. I think it was 10 bucks for a engine review and 18 for a boat review. If you are seriously researching putting new motors on your boat then the money is well spent. In short though you can read the front article and tell who they picked as best. You just don't get the whole picture with performance graphs, etc. The first test they picked the Verado as best, but the performance for all three(Verado,Etec and Yamaha) were very nearly the same. In the dual Verado vs dual Suzuki they picked the Suzuki's. Again performance was close, but the lighter weight, slightly better fuel economy and lower cost were the reasons they picked the Suzuki's. You can tell all that from the front page of the article which doesn't cost you a dime to view. You are talking a lot of money for new outboards of any brand. I would think a few dollars spent now to ease your mind about a choice would not be money badly spent. Nuff said.