wiseco running in tips

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any tips for running in a outboard that has been bored, honed and has new wisecos?

Laddies

Banned
Re: wiseco running in tips

The brake in procedure is on the pistion installation insturctions, us them

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That and whatever your machinist / installer says. A lot depends on what clearances they used.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cant see break in instructions on the installation guide. The block was bored to the recommended size for the pistons. Any specifics?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The most important thing is to figure out what caused the problem that caused the motor to need rebuilding. A damaged piston was the result of something. We need to find and correct the cause of the damaged piston.<br /><br />What works for us is to let the motor idle for at least 2 hours, 4 if possible. Then go out and follow the OE giudelines.

walleyehed

Admiral

When you say Idle, DH, do you mean 700RPM, or is 1000-1200 OK????<br />I guess I'm asking is high Idle OK??? :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I like to just let it idle at 700 or whatever. The block warms up, the t-stats open, the block cools, then the stats close. That warm-cool-warm cycle seems to help "seat" everything.<br /><br />The higher rpm (1000 or so) seems to work, lots of guys do it that way. We've just always had good luck with the low idle.

walleyehed

Admiral

I'm going to try that on this 175 when I get it together....Mar-Fab says the same as you, but I didn't do my 200 that way.....(the second time :rolleyes: )<br />The 175 is a customers so I'll give it a go...it makes sense...Thanks!