how to clean small outboard gas tank?

phatmanmike

Captain
hello, i have a 1988 suzuki 4hp with teh built in tank under the cowl, its a very small tank, maybe 2/3 gallons.<br /><br />it has been sitting for many years with some old fuel in it that has dried and is clogging the tank so no fuel can pass along to the fuel pump.<br /><br />if i remove the tank from the motor, what is the best way to clean it out? is it something a young fella such as myself can do or should i take it to the local radiator shop?<br /><br />thanks guys<br /><br />mike

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to clean small outboard gas tank?

A can of gumout carb cleaner and a handful of nuts and bolts, shake and swirl it around every once in awhile. Slow going until it starts to breakup.<br /><br />It would be cheaper to buy a new tank than to have it done professionally.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow, if the tank is that bad, what is the carb like if any of that fuel was left in there?

phatmanmike

Captain

turns out that the fuelcock is clogged and worthless. can i bypass this device and go strait from tank to fuel pump? or will it free flow out and spill everywhere

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Will probably leak when tipped or tilted. All portable motors that I have used, have a shutoff valve.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is obviously shot, Mike.<br /><br />Send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely for you. :D :D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

When I get an antique outboard with gummy tank, I put in a can of B-12 chemtool and let it soak for a few days. Then I empty it and take it to the car wash for a high pressure rinse. If any crud remains I put in a mixture of HOT water and a 100 or so BB's (count them). Then I put the cap on and shake, shake, shake until I can't shake anymore. That generally breaks up the crud, be sure the exact number of BB's you put in comes back out. Then I pressure rinse again. May have to repeat this process until the inside looks clean, using a small flashlight to see down in there. Nuts and bolts work too, but they can get stuck in odd corners if you are unlucky and have some kind of structure inside the tank. DO NOT do the nuts and bolts and chemtool thing in a metal tank. One spark is one spark too many and not worth risking. After its clean, run a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol through it to evaporate out any remaining water, then use a blow dryer to dry it out. Good luck with the petcock, you may be able to degum/free it up by soaking in chemtool for a loong time. After you get it clean as you can, install a fuel filter between the tank and the pump...just good insurance.