Mercury Optimax/DFI Oil

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just did a search and could not find any information or comparisons with the Merc. Optimax oil on iboats.<br /><br />I have just ordered a 2005 Optimax 115 for delivery next spring and according to the Merc website:<br />"This new synthetic blend oil was developed specifically for the greater demands of DFI outboard engines. Higher operating temperatures combined with reduced oiling rates have put increased demands on the lubricants. This exclusive new formula provides increased lubricity while minimizing carbon deposits, helps reduce smoke and provides the highest protection for the engine. Not intended to be used in all applications specifying a TC-W3 oil".<br /><br />Is this the mystery "Amsoil" oil :rolleyes: <br /><br />I have not received the motor and therefore read the fine print, but I assume my new warranty would be in jeopardy if I did not use the Merc recommended oil

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mercury Optimax/DFI Oil

And yes you had better use it to protect your warranty. They've cut way down on the amount of oil used and the regular stuff just won't hack it.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Go look at a new optimax and see what kind of<br />oil requirement is stamped on the identification<br />plate. And use that. It may surprise you.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by NOSLEEP:<br /> Go look at a new optimax and see what kind of<br />oil requirement is stamped on the identification<br />plate. And use that. It may surprise you.
Yes it will, but I would at least use the synthetic blend, and use the merc oil untill warranty runs out, and forever if ya want.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK Nosleep & LD, don't keep me in suspense! What does the identification plate say? My engine hasn't been ordered yet so I can't look at that!

NOSLEEP

Commander

I dont know what it will say. But I bet it says<br />operating oil tc-w3. What is this mystery <br />merc oil.? tc-w3 synth blend.

mjhach

Cadet

I have a 2002 Opti 150hp always run on Mercury DFI Optimax oil. DON'T USE ANYTHING ELSE.