Homelite/Bearcat, 4 stroke 55hp motors, info??

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Everyone,<br /><br />I just bought two Homelite/Fisher Pierce/Bearcat 4 stroke outboards. I don't have a lot of info on them and was wondering if anybody can identify the year and maybe give me some links to repair sites. The one runs good and the other is supposed to run but has a bad lower unit. Are these good reliable motors? <br /><br />Here are Model #s, etc... 1st one, hood says Fisher Pierce Homelite 55hp, model # F7312.<br />2nd one, hood says Fisher Pierce Bearcat 55hp, model # 460A2F, Serial # 2302631. ANY info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Homelite/Bearcat, 4 stroke 55hp motors, info??

The Bearcat 460A2F is a 1968 longshaft.<br />I can't find any reference to the first one, but Fisher got the rights in '66 to produce them, it must be newer than that. It seems the name got changed to 'Bearcat' in short order, so I think '67 would be a good guess.<br />It seems to me that most owners of these engines are pretty fanatical about them. So I guess that's good. :D <br /><br /> A little history and model year guide<br /> A typical fanatic. :) <br /><br /> Parts resource

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Paul,<br /><br /> Thats a big help. I figured they were between '66-'68 with the info I found. One more question... I bought these motors for $500 with a 16' trihull and a tilt trailer, also included were a 36 lb thrust Autopilot Minnkota trolling motor, a Eagle Magna 2 fishfinder. Just wondering if that sounds like a good deal or was I on the losing side?

BillP

Captain

Sell the Bearcats to a fanatic and buy a modern reliable engine. I'd be surprised to hear anyone say they were reliable.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I had one and it was very reliable. It always started, ran reasonably quiet, and got great fuel economy. I replaced it with a 2 stroke Merc because I wanted more power. There is a Pertronix electronic ignition kit for it, which really wakes the motor up, and makes it even more reliable, although I never had any problems with the points ignition. Parts can be still found for it as well. The motor was made from 61 to 72. There was an 85 horse Bearcat as well, but they are not common and difficult to find.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Jay - One of the guys who posts here has one - I forget his name though. Bump this post up from time to time until he jumps in.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Are you thinking of Iboats member Bearcat Powered? :) <br />$500 bucks for a boat that floats, trailer that rolls, engine that runs, fishfinder that finds fish, and trolling motor which spins sounds like a fair deal to me.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

You guys, that infamous Bearcat Powered dude is long on ambition but very short on time- STILL hasn't gotten the Bearcat mounted up on the transom yet. Like that mirage in the hot desert, it keeps getting closer... I think.<br /><br />But you're right, he is still very much fanatical on them anyway.... ;) <br /><br />Here is another link to try; the others Paul posted were excellent also. fishback I don't know much about fishback, but I do know Don at Adventure and recommend him highly. Adventure Bearcat Marine <br /><br />Ed at Economy 4 Cycle (Paul's link) is also very highly regarded.<br /> <br />Personally, I believe you did MUCH better than just OK on the deal if there is ANYTHING left of the tri-hull and trailer. Especially if you like those motors. Adventure gives a core allowance of at least $300 or $400 (or more) for a rebuildable core if you trade it in on a restored unit, so there is some value to them if you find the right buyer. Personally, I suggest trying one out before deciding. You'll smile every time you consider how little gas you're burning in that rig. It is a tough little motor, and wonderfully unique.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason, who knows maybe we owned the same motor. I'm from south of Sandpoint, and just bought these from north of Sandpoint.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bearcat, yeah I think I'll give this thing a try, just had it running for the first time tonight and man did it purr. It fired up instantly after over a year of not running. Couldn't believe how quiet it was and with these gas prices any help is great. The trihull is in okay shape and the trailer is great. The boat was actually set up like a bass boat, so its kinda neat. I can't wait to drop it in the water and try her out. Those motors sure are big though, wanted to put one on my 15 footer but now I'm scared to. Thanks for the links, maybe I'll look into a new lower unit for the other one, or trade in the core like you said.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Depending on your 15 footer, it might go great. My Silverline Rambler 15 (measures close to 16') could take much more than the 55 horses of my old Johnson. And since it was a heavy old hydro-electric shift, weight was probably within 10 pounds of the Bearcat, easily. These were considerably lighter than the Honda 4 stroke until recently. Depends on the rating on your transom plate assuming it is otherwise sound. My boat could take a 70, though I have no complaint about 55 HP. It gets right up on plane like it was afraid of getting wet or something. Haven't tried towing a 220 lb skier yet, though I can hardly feel a hundred pounder. Having the right prop is critical, of course. And if you don't have a working tachometer I suggest getting one. (I'd say this regardless of what kind of motor) By the way, some Scott-Atwater props fit these. The lower unit may have been mfg'd by Scott, according to one rumor I heard.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> I had one and it was very reliable. It always started, ran reasonably quiet, and got great fuel economy. I replaced it with a 2 stroke Merc because I wanted more power. There is a Pertronix electronic ignition kit for it, which really wakes the motor up, and makes it even more reliable, although I never had any problems with the points ignition. Parts can be still found for it as well. The motor was made from 61 to 72. There was an 85 horse Bearcat as well, but they are not common and difficult to find.
Jason,<br />How many hours did you have on the motor? I remember Bearcats when they were new. Our neighbor across the street bought two new 55s for a 20' T-Bird trihull. One blew a lower unit the FIRST time out and he had continuous problems keeping both motors running. After a year of battling he sold them. We lived on the waterfront saw a few around but they didn't have a good rep locally.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bill, Were you in salt water? Seems like that would make a difference from the freshwater Jason and I are in.<br /><br />Oh, and Bearcat, my 15' is a Hydrocraft Fantasy, made for speed and big motors. I've been wanting to put a bigger motor on it for a while but haven't been able to find one in my price range. Somebody before me strengthened the transom so I think it could probably take it. I think I'll look into switching it over to try it out.

BillP

Captain

Yep, kept tied to a dock in saltwater. I don't remember corrosion being an issue but that was a long time ago. I'm thinking you might get a premium for those motors from a collector and spend the cash on a more modern 2 stroke engine.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Bill, I have no idea what the hours were on that thing, I only knew it was older than I was, and after it had sat for fifteen years next to a barn, a carb cleaning was all it took. It was not pretty though, it definatley looked used. I can only speak from my own personal experience with that particular motor, I cannot vouch for every Homelite ever built. I do see them strapped to houseboats on occasion.<br /><br />Jay, It would be pretty funny if it was the same motor. I know the old dude that bought it said he had another one. If you click my link below, and look under "My outboards, past and present", there is a pic of my old Homelite.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason, heck that could be the same motor, ecspecially if that is epoxy on the right side of the skeg. Looks just like my older one (they think it was a '67 though). <br /><br />Bill, thanks for your opinion. I'll definitely think about it. But after taking this thing out last night, and seeing it get a boat rated for 105hp up on plane no prob, I don't know.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

A couple of years ago, I worked with a guy who was still using his old Bearcat. Has always run it in saltwater since new and it still ran like a top. Started right up and worked fine pulling a 16' shrimp trawl which is what he nostly does as a fishing hobby. He always claimed that his Bearcat would take him almost right up on the beach if that's whwere the shrimp were--places where I couldn't get to with my big 2-c Johnson. Based on his experience, they seem to be fine motors for their day.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Jay, look for that red plate on the leg. I put that there to replace the original plate. The reason is that You want to drill a hole in that plate, it acts as an exhaust relief, which made for better starting and eliminates the "burbling" in the water when it is running, and also eliminates it loading up when idling. I got kinda drill happy though, and drilled more holes, which caused the motor to be really loud. You only need one 1/4 inch hole in the plate, I had put six in it. I had to fab another plate, and drilled the one hole in it. If I remember rightly, the outboard was a 63, but had a later year cowl, for whatever reason.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Time will tell, but I did a lot of homework on these. Most went into either commercial fishing or houseboat rentals. Neither are situations where the owners want a lot of problems; both value dependability and low cost of ownership. These were rather pricey up front, but had the reputation of paying their owner back in the long run. And that was when gas was under 50 cents a gallon! All those I know who own these have run them for years, and wouldn't dream of anything else in a motor that size. Problems happen with anything mechanical- one problem does not equate to a quality crisis. <br /><br />But it is true that these are not for everyone. Parts are not available everywhere, nor are experienced mechanics. Some do not desire the extra few pounds of these motors. Some may not care for the "retro" styling. Some like the latest and greatest and fastest. Ask me in a year how I like mine. I didn't mind my Johnson, although it gave me the typical old motor problems and then some. I still can't say it was a bad motor, though. If you want a very unique motor which is very thrifty with fuel compared to other outboards of its day, give it a try! You can always change your mind after you see for yourself if it meets your needs!

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the continued input guys. <br /><br />Jason, nope doesn't have the red plate, would have been weird to find out it was the same motor though. <br /><br />Bearcat, I can sure be thankful for the gas money this thing would save me, with the way prices are right now. When you say Don is giving $300-$400 for a core, would that be the whole motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.