• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

I/O vs Outboard - pros and cons of each

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I/O vs Outboard - pros and cons of each

I am looking at purchasing a new boat (hurricane SD237) and I am looking to get soem info on the pros and cons of I/O's vs outboards. My only experiance has been with outboards. I have heard things like i/o are cheaper to work on, initial cost is less, however the require more water to run in.

Re: I/O vs Outboard - pros and cons of each

SternDrives are far heavier than comparable horsepower outboards. Outboards are generally quicker out of the hole and faster at full throttle. The weight of a stern drive is more centered in the boat rather than hanging off the back. That also reduces the amount of passenger room in the boat. Neither is cheap to work on or purchase. There are much bigger Hp stern drive motors than outboards, and there are much smaller Hp outboards than stern drives. Depending on a lot of factors, outboards can be operated in shallower water at slow speeds. Old stern drive motors are more fuel efficient than old outboards of the same Hp. Nearly all stern drive motors can be operated on lakes that ban carbureted 2-stroke motors. Stern drives must be winterized in your neck of the woods wheras many outboard owners neglect that procedure with far less dire results. There's a few differences for you, and there are exceptions to many of these.
    Hey, Have you seen? They make Really Cool life preservers nowadays.
    So "Looking Dorky" is no longer an excuse for not wearing one.

Comment

The big advantage I see with an outboard is when I pull my boat out of the water in the winter and let it drain for a few seconds I don't have to worry about it freezing up. I fish year 'round and would hate the thoughts of winterizing an I/O after every trip. I would probably quit fishing in the winter if I had to do that everytime.

Comment

The other thing that I am considering is that the engine options are merc with merc leg or merc with volvo pentara leg or the outboard option is yamaha only................

Comment

Walleye,I have owned boats with outboards until this year when I purchased a little used Cobalt with Volvo Penta 4.3L GS (205 hp). Always wanted one!After using the boat for 50 hours this summer I have decided to sell the rig and purchase a smaller boat with outboard. I decided to sell because the boat is too big for our lake, it's a pain in shallower areas and really sucks the gas. I love the Cobalt its one of the best built boats on the market, but I'm not as impressed with the engine and stern drive. I thought it would be smother and quieter, but for skiing and tubing an outboard has it beat hands down. Outboards give you much more room inside the boat so a 17' O/B has more room than a 19' I/O.I do all my own maintenance and even though the Volvo Penta is very reliable there is a lot of things that can/will go wrong and it takes a lot more to keep it in tip top conditions. Winterizing is a real pain compared with an outboard and to do it properly it takes about four hours compared to less than two with my outboards.If you are going to use your boat for cruising then the I/O is very nice, but if you use it primarily for water sports, I'd recommend the outboard.

Comment

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...c;f=1;t=010241

Comment

thanks for the input, I primarily use my boat for fishing, very little water sports. The lake that i go to does have some shallow spots around 3ft deep getting from the marina to the open lake, generally how much more water do i/o need to run in than outboards/

Comment

I got my first I/O 3 years ago really like it. I have a f/s openbow that does a little of everything. I think it's good on gas compared to an outboard two stroke anyway, it's quiet and I have no motor to look at or get in the way. The winterization is more work but it's not hard.3ft is a little shallow, are you planning to idle out or are you asking if you can take off in 3 ft of water? You can plane over 3 ft of water but you can't start or stop that shallow with out risking your skeg,prop or outdrive.

Comment

Walleye,If you are going to use it primarily for fishing and some water sports then I would go for an EFI 4 stroke outboard. An I/O at trawling speeds will require the bilge blower which can be noisier than the motor!Yamaha, Mercury, Johnson/Suzuki make great 4 strokes.In my case the Volvo I/O required at least 4 to 5 feet of water before you could safely take off with lots of throttle.

Comment

Walleye,I/O's and shallow water do not necessarily get along.Another important question. What is the boat rated for as far as max. horsepower?

Comment

I enjoy my 1986 I/O quite a bit. I bought it over an outboard because in the older used category, it is smoke free, cheaper to run, and quieter than a two stroke.If I would be buying new, a four stroke outboard would be my choice and in an aluminum boat. You need far less horsepower to move this at a good clip as compaired to an I/O in a fiberglass boat and get the same quietness and smoke free operation. This solution translates into gas savings all around. You won't need a large pickup to trailer it and it will be cheaper to operate on the water. It's a win win situation.

Comment

I guess it depends on what you are going to do and what your priorities are.For me, the extra 9 to 12 square feet of deck space in an outboard boat is enough reason to nix an I/O.
                        sigpic

Comment

the marina is about 6.5 feet and once i clear the last boat i have about 200 yards ... lots of space to plane before it becomes about 3 ft for about 25 feet...they didnt dredge far enough. As far as the max hp. they do sell it with i think as large as a 6.2l i am looking at the 5.7l. Its a huge lake, about 75 miles long by about 7 miles accross on average and often i will go about 7-10 miles from the marina ( fishing is always better on the other side) my current boat has a 225 evinrude outboard and it loves to suck the gas especially at wot. The Hurrican sundeck 237 has the same amount of floor space if you go with the i/o or outboard, instead of an engine under the rear compartment you gain some storage, however on a 23.7foot boat the extra stroage isnt that big of a deal. what is invloved in winterizing an i/o vs an outboard

Comment

Walleye,The reason I asked about max hp is that a 23.7 foot boat is going to be a wallowing PIG with anything less than a 225-250 class outboard-no matter what it is.I/O's require you to: pull hoses, dump RV antifreeze into cavities, drain block, service outdrive (including "pulling the drive" for gimbal bearing service, etc. Outboards require a fogging, maybe, drain and service lower unit and tilt them down.All in all, the I/O is maintenance intensive compared to an outboard.With the size and type of that boat, I'd go I/O.If it was a center console (fishing boat) I'd go outboard.As a side note, I'm thinking this boat is a deck boat? Are you sure you want that?

Comment

...sorry. Didn't see the initial size of your boat. Are these the two models you are comparing? http://www.boatinginternational.com/.../htm/237io.htm http://www.boatinginternational.com/.../htm/237ob.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X