Product Report - Fuel Flow Meter

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Synopsis: I'm happy with the product, and out of the box, it is within the stated +/- 5% accuracy.<br /><br />Long version: I bought a Standard Horizon fuel flow meter last summer. I had defect issues, but both were handled to my satisfaction. First the sender was bad and, with an email from me, they sent me a new one express without even looking at the bad one. In the mean time, I found problem #2 - the gauge itself leaked water and had to be replaced. This time they wanted to actually see the defective gauge, which of course made it a longer issue. But in the end, they sent me an entire new kit - sender and gauge - and everything works perfectly.<br /><br />FINALLY ran a measured amount through the meter. Until recently, because I hadn't used the boat much this summer, I was burning off last fall's stabilized fuel, which was an unknown quantity. Finally put a measured 20 gal into the built in tank and finally got it all burned up. Two or three boating sessions, various speeds from idle to WOT. When I ran out, reading came back at 20.8 gallons consumed - almost exactly within their stated tolerance of +/- 5%. I have now calibrated it based on this and will see if it's more accurate. For me, though, 5% is plenty good enough and I'm happy with the product.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Product Report - Fuel Flow Meter

Thanks D. - wish we had more of these.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I should mention the features of this flow meter. It is a Standard Horizon FF 41 and is very similar, if not identical to others on the market. From what I can tell, it is identical in features and functioning and nearly identical in look to the Navman gauge, for example. The transducers (senders) are identical for each.<br /><br />2" gauge - standard size hole<br />Total consumed<br />Trip consumed <br />Amount left (can set for amount put in tank)<br />Alarm (based on amount left) - on or off<br />Fuel flow rate <br />All can be in liters or gallons.<br /><br />It was an easy DIY project.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> please expound Djohns...
I'd be happy to - what would you like to know?