Yamaha Customer Service

Seakindly

Cadet
I have been trying for about a week now to contact Yamaha customer service to get info on the 2005 9.9 high thrust motor (T9.9).<br /><br />There is no info about this motor on their website and there is no e-mail contact info on their website either. <br /><br />The website gives a customer service number (866-894-1626). I have called this repeatedly and all I get is a recording that tells me that they are very busy at this time of year, suggests I call a local dealer to give him an opportunity to solve my problem or I can hold for the next available rep. I have held on speakerphone for hours and nobody ever answers. The recording replays every 5 minutes or so. Are they really that overwhelmed with problems or maybe they can't handle any more new customers. At the start of the first response - they give another number to call (877-999-2985)for brochures. This one is always busy.<br />I guess I am lucky I don't have a real problem.<br /><br />Any suggestions??

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Yamaha Customer Service

Yamaha doesn't usually make too many yearly changes so I would guess that the specs on the 2004 high thrust 9.9 would be pretty close

Seakindly

Cadet

ZZZZZ -- Looks like you posted in the wrong discussion. Forktail filled us in on the new changes in the other discussion I started about 2004 vs. 2005.<br /><br />What I am lookin for in this topic is an E-mail address or phone number for Yamaha Customer Service that might actually be answered by a real live human being.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seakindly.<br /><br />If you break off from a thread and make a new post you can expect that.<br /><br />Looks like you started a new discussion in the middle.

Seakindly

Cadet

JB - Just thought a different subject deserves a new thread. Hoping that someone with Yamaha Customer Service contact info, someone that wasn't necessarily interested in 9.9 high thrust motors, would be able to help. You are right -- I did start a new dicussion while the other one is in progress. Is that not ok?? Don't want to swim against the tide.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not a problem, Seakindly.<br /><br />You were unjustly harsh on ZZZZ because he wasn't up on a different thread. It is not reasonable to expect him to have read your other thread and made the connection.<br /><br />That was my point.

Seakindly

Cadet

Shoot!! JB, Why didn’t you say so in the first place?? It was never my intention to be at all harsh to ZZZZZ.<br />I had no expectation that he had read or should have already have read the other discussion about 2005 T9.9. My reply to ZZZZZ was only meant to refer him to the other discussion, where he would see that we all felt the same way as he did when we first heard of these changes and what some of these changes were, since he seemed to be interested in that topic.<br /><br />ZZZZZZ -- IF YOU FELT THAT MY REPLY WAS AT ALL HARSH, THEN I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Can't find customer survice huh? Ya sure ya wanna buy a Yamaha?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Bullseye Hooty!<br /><br />I'm not picking on Yamaha -- I just thought that was sooo right on -- no matter who youre talking about.

Forktail

Ensign

Seakindly, I didn't take your post as "unjustly harsh" at all. JB must be bored. :rolleyes: <br /><br />You have the right Yamaha Customer Service number....1-866-894-1626.<br /><br />This time of year you can expect to be put on hold for a while, but you will get service. Be patient. Yamaha does not accept e-mails.<br /><br />I have received technical information, rigging specs, schematics, and faxes buy using this initial contact. You just need to tell them exactly what you want. If they can't help you, ask to talk to a more technical or knowledgeable person.<br /><br />Or you can always write them for specifics (they respond promply if you include your phone number)....<br /><br />Yamaha Motor Corp.<br />Outboard Division<br />1270 Chastain Road NW<br />Kennesaw, GA 30144<br /><br />Basic sales information and specs on the 2005 T9.9 have not been distributed to dealers for consumers yet. But your dealer can get any technical information about this new model for you...if he wants to. He's in the know and on the in. <br /><br />Hooty and Dhadley - Seakindly's request is something that should be handled at the dealer level...and something that Customer Service will help with if given the chance. IMO, Yamaha's customer service is one of the best, and easiest to find. Sometimes it's not easy trying to get info on a model that hasn't been released yet, and there are some things Yamaha CS just isn't going to tell you at this point, probably because they don't know. ;)

Seakindly

Cadet

Thanks again, Forktail. I will send them a written request for info via pony express. Hopefully, they will be that helpful once contact is made. The brochures # is even busy at 11 at night. So far, Forktail, YOU have been Yamaha Customer Service.<br /><br />I’d rather get this info from customer service, than put a very busy mechanic/dealer thru the paces for a motor that he doesn’t even have available for sale yet. My hurry is to make a decision on whether or not to buy a 2004 from a different dealer, while leftover 2004’s are still available. I don’t want to be the guy that brings his 2004 9.9 or his 1994 150 in for service to the same mechanic that I drove crazy to get info on a 2005 that I didn’t even buy. Don’t think that would be fair to him, nor very wise of me.

Forktail

Ensign

After I posted I tried their number. It took 8 minutes to get through to Yamaha's customer service. And that was from Alaska. The gal on the phone had the new 2005 T9.9 specs in front of her. She confirmed the new T9.9 would be on the current 15's block. <br /><br />I still think you should get the proven 2004 T9.9 model. I would. :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If this is their sales area (Yahama), what's it like in the complaints department! If getting through was so hard before you bought the engine, imagine what it'll be like if you have a problem. They already have your money, so they'll think it's ok to ignore you! IHMO<br /><br />Chris............

Seakindly

Cadet

That figures ... when I call after 5PM, the recording tells me I have reached the southeast service center, and I should call back during regular business hours. :(

Forktail

Ensign

achris, have you had trouble with Yamaha's customer service, or are you just speculating and blowing things out of proportion? Because I find their service to be excellent. That's one of the reasons my fleet runs Yamaha.<br /><br />You don't sell 6 million outboards for 40 years by having poor customer service. Yamaha ranked tops in customer satisfaction according to JD Power, two years in a row (2002 and 2003). They also received the Marine Industry's CSI Award for excellence in customer satisfaction for the past two years...with 4 CSI awards last year alone.<br /><br />Getting through to Yamaha's customer service may not be as simple as snapping your fingers, especially during the peak of the outboard season and the release of all their new models. You need a little patience. Again, it took me only 8 minutes to talk to a real person. And she provided me the information I asked for.<br /><br />Information and specs on the 2005's will be distributed on Yamaha's web site August 2nd at 12 noon eastern. Try not to get your panties in a wad until then.

Seakindly

Cadet

Obviously, when I call from the East coast, the call gets routed to a different location than when Forktail calls. Funny thing though, after my last post I called to hear their non-business hours recording again. It says -- You have reached Yamaha Motor Corporation’s Southeast Headquarters at 1270 Chastain Road in Kennesaw, Georgia (no zip code). Kinda strange. Is there really a 1270 Chastain Road in Kennesaw, Georgia??<br /><br />I am really looking forward to the web update on Tuesday. This is really gonna be great, because they don’t even list the specs for 2004 T9.9 with the other high thrust motors on their website. You have to download an owner’s manual to see them. I am so excited about this that I am gonna wear my best underwear for the show. ;)

Forktail

Ensign

Seakindly, you're not going to get in touch with Yamaha's Customer Service on a Friday night, Saturday, or Sunday. Only Mon-Fri regular hours...and you must be patient. <br /><br />Yes, 1270 Chastain Road NW in Kennesaw is where Yamaha's U.S. outboard motors Customer Service headquarters is located. I've been there. So if you're implying that their Customer Service is nothing more than an invisible avoidance scheme, you would be wrong. <br /><br />If you can't find the 2004 T9.9 specs on the web site, you can call any dealer with your questions, or pick up a brochure at a dealer (maybe the one you've already been to). BTW, I found the specs on the internet by doing a simple google search. Many outboard dealers list them.<br /><br />Also, I have the specs in front of me, and 4 of these outboards on my boats. If you'd bother to mention exactly what it is you're looking for, rather than stir up trouble over Yamaha's Customer Service line, I would be more than willing to help you. I have already given you the information you asked for concerning the new, yet to be released, 2005 T9.9.<br /><br />It appears you already have a rub with Yamaha, so maybe you ought to make yourself happy and buy a different brand.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Yahama service in Oz in bl**dy terrible!

Seakindly

Cadet

Forktail, my mistake on the address -- I read the address you gave above as being in CA, not GA.<br />That is why it seemed strange to me that the recording gave me the same street and town in a different state. That , and what is the point of giving out a mailing address on the recording without a zipcode? Am I supposed to jump in my truck and go there? <br />Of course, I called them during regular business hours. Thats when I was repeatedly on hold for HOURS with no answer. Like I said above - I am glad I didn't have a "real problem". <br /><br />I have no problem with Yamaha's customer service, other than the difficulty in contacting them.<br />I got the specs on T9.9 by downloading (1/2 hour) an owners manual for viewing, which is generally a nice thing to be able to do. However, it makes no sense to me that they should post on their website a specs chart for their high thrust motors that includes 8,25,50,and 60 ... but not 9.9.<br /><br />I did several google and yahoo searchs and didn't find any specs. But seriously, why should I even have to do internet searches for basic info on a new Yamaha motor?? Isn't there something wrong with that picture?<br /><br />Forktail, the info you have provided here on iboats, both to me and before I joined, has been excellent; and far more than what I expected - but haven't yet received from Yamaha Motors Headquarters.I am trying to look at this objectively.