Can I lower pitch on Raker

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up a Raker prop on e-bay,14 by 20 pitch for my 1993 Johnson 120,,but I am worried that the 20 pitch might be a tad high. Can prop shops take pitch out,and is there any negatives to this process. I have been chomping at the bit to try a Raker,,and the deal was good so I could not pass it up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I lower pitch on Raker

Moving to General Outboard

D

DJ

Why do you think it's too high? What are you running now and what is your top RPM?

walleyehed

Admiral

My question would be the same as DJ's.<br />I would also add that decreasing pitch on a prop built for "X" pitch, decreases efficiency..<br />It's always best to error on the low side and increase pitch as needed, and this will (in most cases) increase the efficiency that is not available from a standard prop.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Try the prop out first and see how it runs. The Raker has a highly raked blade(hence its name), probably the most rake of any OEM prop. It really doesn't respond well to repitching in the field. you might try reducing the cup onthe blades but stay way from the blade tips! Reducing the cup on the tips will affect the rake of the blades.

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will deffinetly try the prop first,and I will be estatic if the rpm's are in the sweet spot.But as with every thing else in life,,,nothing comes easy.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

what prop are you running now and what rpms do you get?

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do not have my specs right in front of me,,but off top of my head,,,3 blade Stainless(unknown brand)12 3/8 by 21 pitch 5200---ballistic prop 3 blade 13 3/8 by 19 pitch 5400----14 by 17 pitch aluminum 3 blade OMC prop 5500 ----Stiletto 3 blade 13 3/8 by 19 pitch 5300...The ballistic and Stiletto were on loan.Actually the OMC aluminum prop really surprises me how well it performs.The fella that sold it to me(Johnsons marine in Michigan I believe) said that they are specifically designed for the OMC motors. I know we tried a Regular Michigan prop with exact same specs as our OMC prop and it flat dab did not do well.

walleyehed

Admiral

Expect the same(simular) RPM as your Ballistic 19...I've compiled data on my V4 with 32 different props including the Raker.

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK walleyehed,,dont leave me hanging here,,,which props do you prefer.Do you think that I will like the Raker.I see that you come from Lake Texoma,,,I hear that is some great bass fishing!!!!

walleyehed

Admiral

Name your boat type and hull design. maybe some history as to how it performs as far as trim needed and what hole is the engine mounted in??? is it setting directly on the transom?? stepped hull??<br />What do you have, and I'll give ya my 2 cents...

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya got it ,,,1989 Spectrum Blue Fin aluminum 19 ft boat. Boat weighed 1680# last year,but that was with a 90 hp Johnny,,it now has a 120 which I assume is about 60# more.It also has all new wood on deck up front,,,old wood was pretty dry rotted.Wood is 3/4 plywood,so lets say that I added 150# there,so lets say the boat is around 2000#..One drawback is gas tank is built into bow of boat, 19 gallons. It is a fairly flat bottom,,not totally flat,,has some curveature.<br /> Boat has a stringer,rib, running front to back,but ends about 4 feet from the back,hull is riveted. I currently have a 14 by 17 OMC aluminum prop(3 blade) ) running 5500 rpms. Cav plate is mounted 1 1/2 inches above bottom of hull,which is as high as I can go on motor without drilling more holes in boat.I actually noticed very little difference from when cav plate was even with bottom of boat.I can trim up to the next to top line on trim gague,from then r's increase but speed drops. I bought the 20 pitch Raker on e-bay,but it has not arrived yet.I stood on the bank as my nephew went by,and I was amazed at how much of the boat was still in the water,,like 15-16 feet.I have tried the Ballistic 14 by 19 pitch ,5500 r's(marginal speed gain) Stiletto 14 by 19 5200 r's(also marginal) ..And it is not setting directly on transom,,about 3 inches up.And no,deffinetly a stepped hull.Am I a prime candidate for a jackplate.Thanks for your help.P.S. I seem to be getting blowout on slight to moderate turns,,so it almost seems like the motor might be a tad bit high.But I guess if the bow isnt lifting,that would limit my trim range.

walleyehed

Admiral

You've got a good candidate for a jack-plate there....The Raker may help some with bow-lifting, but it will still only lift so much...If you move the engine back, it will help even more.<br />The flatter the hull, the more blow out you will have in turns.<br />Ya got alot of weight in the front, and ya need to move the pivot point (CG) back to decrease the wetted area-jack plate city.

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks walleyehed,,I appreciate your,and everyone elses advice. Like all guys,we have that testosterone thing,,,you know,,the need for speed.It is also a bonus when you can outrun your big brother while trying to reach that plateau.