Lacquer?

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone here used decals from American Outboard on their motors?<br />I just got a set today and have applied them to my motor, and I'm going to seal them with a clear coat, the only advice they give is to use "compatible clear" but they don't mention a specific type of paint.<br />The trouble is that paints in the UK can be different to those in the US, or are called by different names, so it's difficult to work out what's OK and what's not!<br />For instance the word "lacquer" in the US appears to apply to a specific product (all cellulose paint I think?), whereas in the UK it's more of a generic term for clear coat. Lacquer here can be cellulose, acrylic, 2 pack acrylic, epoxy, polyurethane, and a few others.<br />I do have a sample that I intend to test first, but it would be useful to hear from anyone who's already done this, and who knows exactly what sort of clear coat they used.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lacquer?

I have worked with water-slide decals (not from Amer Outboard), and have sealed them with an acrylic lacquer, ( aerosol can).

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lacquer?

That's a big help roscoe, I'm planning to use RFU (ready for use) Acrylic lacquer, a single part lacquer that you spray with a gun straight from the can, it needs no thinning.<br />I suspect this is the same stuff that comes in aerosol cans.<br />I've been using water slide decals professionally for over 20 years, and it's only been in recent years that I've really had problems with them. Paint and ink formulas have changed due to new regulations, and the regulations themselves are often different in different parts of the world. So it can be very difficult to know what is compatible with what when the decals come from another part of the world!<br />My technique always used to be to use a seal coat of cellulose lacquer over the decal, then once that had hardened to go over with whatever lacquer the job required, usually 2 pack acrylic.<br />But recently I've found many makes of decal react badly with the cellulose, and the reaction with 2 pack is even worse!