Adding Marvel Mystery oil to fuel

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I fuel up my 2 boats by stopping at gas station near my boats and filling 5-6 gal containers.I always add some marvel mystery oil to my v8 mercruisers gas instead of the lead substitute.I ocasionally add just an ounce or two to the fuel mix for my evinrude.Is adding this to the gas oil mixture good,bad or indifferent????Charlie

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Adding Marvel Mystery oil to fuel

charlie I have been adding marvel oil to everything I own (in the fuel) for years.<br />I can't tell you if it helps or not but I can sure tell you it don't hurt.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Charlie, I boat in salt water. I always add (marvel or two-cycle)oil to my Mercruiser's fuel. I believe it will slow the rusting of the intake manifold and it can't hurt to give the combustion chamber and carb some lubrication.<br /><br />I do not add Marvel Mystery Oil to my outboard's fuel, since I am not convinced it would provide any benefit over the two-cycle oil.

LubeDude

Admiral

People adding Marvel Mystery oil to there engines both in the fuel and the crankcase date as far back as I can remember. I have never seen it cause any problems when used at recomended doses. I have used it myself at times to free up noisy lifters and quiet noisy fuel injectors, It works great. The reasons given above are all good reasons for using it. I also doubt that it has any benifits in a 2 cycle. Unless it was fuel injected.<br /><br />Its one of those products that cant hurt anything and actually has some benifits.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have been using it for a long time myself.I guess adding to my 2 cycle mix wont hurt.I find it to be especially good for fogging the engine.Charlie

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would think it would help with internal corrosion of the fuel/combustion components. Sort of a light oil 'fogging' after shut down.

walleyehed

Admiral

The MMO has another effect as well...It changes the vaporization point of the fuel and can eliminate vapor-locks in the case of the V8...

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figure it don't hurt nothing either. I bet instead you could add some 2 stroke oil from Wally World or K-Mart too & have the same effect, as long as you ain't putting it in anything that has a catalytic converter on it.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I surely would not add any 2 stroke oil to anything other than something that calls for it.Marvel is something totally different.Charlie

BillP

Captain

I used MMO in an airplane engines crankcase oil to quiet down a noisy lifter. It helped a little but that's the only time I ran with it. The A&P told me to try it but said MMO burned off quickly after running in the crankcase. <br /><br />On the otherhand, I used MMO a few years as a storage oil for small 2 stroke model engines that sit a year or two. The solvent part dried up and left a hard plastic type residue (like bowling ball hard) that locked the engines up tight. It was tough to loosen up.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

What ever dried up in your engine was surely not MMO.It does not dry up.I have fogged all kinds of motors with it since I was a kid and I have stored motors for up to 5 years and it kept the internals rust free and as smoothe as silk.The plug on my snow blower still was dripping with Marvel 5 years later.What gummed you up was probably old fuel.Charlie

BillP

Captain

There is no mistake it was MMO. In about a 6 month period I disassembled and cooked approx 25 glow engines in a crockpot and got them sparkling clean...no residue, no fuel, no nothing on the parts. I loaded the crankcases/cyls, etc with MMO, drained them and pulled the engines through to make sure all parts were coated...then set them in a display case for 1-2 yrs. Every motor seized. There was nothing wet about it. The goo was definitely from MMO...same color and smell even. <br /><br />After talking to model engine collectors about it they told me that is what happens with MMO and why they don't use it. Risoline is what the pro collectors use for long term storage. I've been storing glow engines since about 1958 and used castor oil...it locks the engine up too but mild heat releases it. Only when I switched to MMO did the problem appear.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Not going with you on this one bill.There had to have been other factors involved with your problem.I have used Marvel for too long and in too many applications to believe that one.Charlie

BillP

Captain

Nice link Seahorse...I'd guess mineral oil is the culprit for locking up my engines. <br /><br />I don't see anything listed that will stay wet for yrs...assuming it is exposed to air.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

BillP,<br /><br />You are not the only one with "lock up" problems with MMO. As you can tell by the ingredients, it is basically a solvent cleaner, not a protectant.<br /><br />Many years ago, a machinist who worked by the waterfront in Florida showed me how each day he wiped things with a rag soaked in Rislone to keep the rust off those expensive machine tools.

walleyehed

Admiral

I gotta go with BillP as well...As an avid R/C'er, I've also used MMO as an "after-run" oil and experienced the same...locked-up engines.<br />We do however, recommend the use of MMO in radial aircraft engines in the fuel system, due to 100LL aviation fuel being "drier" lead-wise than what these engines were designed to run on.<br />If we don't use it, we have alot of valve and valve-train problems.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

...anything with naphta in it will clean out the internal engine parts real well. Marvel Mystery Oil?...where's the oil part?

LubeDude

Admiral

And why would anyone want to use it for "air tool oil"? Many do as well as me before.

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Marvel Mystery oil" sounds like something from a Beatles album...