About to buy Yam F40 or Suzuki DF40

andymach

Cadet
I am about to place an order for either of these motors. I can find very little info on the Yam 40 4 stroke. Can anyone running this motor give me any feedback?<br /><br />I like the technology of the Suzuki but am having difficulty with this motor not having a fresh water flushing port. I am mystified as to why Suzuki fit this to all their 4 strokes except the 40 & 50. This feature is important to me as I have a salt water Marina berth.<br /><br />It seems that the only way to flush it is to use the hose/muff's, tilt the engine then start with the prop out of the water, deafining everyone.<br /><br />Can anyone give me some advice on this flushing issue or the motors in general?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Andy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: About to buy Yam F40 or Suzuki DF40

The flushing issue is a pain, Andy, but to me anyway, carbs are a bigger pain.<br /><br />I would still buy the Suzi because it has EFI and computer management.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

andymach

Cadet

Have you got this motor? Anything negative about the Yam?

Forktail

Ensign

I've got a 2002 F40 on one of my river boats. Excellent outboard. Starts and trolls flawlessly. Fuel economy is excellent. No trouble at all with the carbs. But the Suzuki is a good outboard too. But it's considerably heavier.