Multimeter/Ammeter

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone suggest a decent priced multimeter/ammeter to test the charging system on a marine engine. I have a multimeter now, but it does not test AMPs and I seem to recall a need for this.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Multimeter/Ammeter

Home Depot, Radio Shackc, to mention a couple have very reasonable multimeters which include the amp feature you speak of.

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice

most cheap ones dont read very high amps i dont think, only up to like 5

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Clamp-on ammeters are handy. You will see them when you start looking. They have jaws that slip over the wire and read amps. They read A/C, but will read D/c volts, as well.. Also have all the other functions, too..

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I found some pretty decent/inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight, they have stores all over the country or you can check them out online. I don't think they are very high quality, but for occasional use it is probably just fine. I picked up a clamp-on AC/DC and AMPs for $9.99 on sale in their store (normally $17.99). I'll let you know how well it does since I will be using it this weekend.<br /><br />To look at the multimeters go to their website and do a keyword search for multimeter.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Kinda like this: Also does other tests. Voltage, Ohms, AC/DC Volts, Ect.<br /><br /> web page

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi, if you want to check the amperage of your charging system why not just use a auto amp-meter, get an induction type and you don't even have to connect it to your system. <br />The Harbor Freight multi-meters are amazing bargains for the money, rated accuracy is 98-99%. I buy them by the hundred and resell them on ebay, over 350 so far with only one defective unit, although the Harbor Freight ad doesn't say it they measure up to 10 amps DC and higher for very short times.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

You can also buy add on ammeter clamp-on attachments for your own meter, particularly it it is a nicer one. I'm still trying to figure out how they make indictive clamp on units work with DC. In theory they shouldn't be able to. I wonder if they only work when there is a generator or alternator active in the system, since the power is not quite as "clean" as with battery only. Anybody know?

Paul Moir

Admiral

They use a Hall effect sensor to directly measure the magnetic feild strength rather than a current transformer. I gotta say, it bugged the heck out of me until I looked it up!

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhh! That was bugging me too! Thanks, Paul! You answered another one for me!