anyone heard of a "stinger" motor?

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone out there heard of a Johnson motor referred to as a "stinger"? My 1970 115hp has remnants of some old lettering on the motor cover which says "stinger". I have never seen this in old photos or heard of it before. Maybe it was done by a previous owner who thought it looked cool :cool: <br /><br />Stay Dry,<br />Dan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: anyone heard of a "stinger" motor?

There were several three cylinder models in the 70s and 80s that were labeled as "Stingers", but I recall no V4s.

D

DJ

Yes, as JB said, there were three cylinder models designated as "Stinger". Some were even painted bright orange (don't ya love the 70's)<br /><br />The V-4 models carried the designation "Javelin".

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The early 70's V4 Evinrude hot rods were Stanglers. Its interesting that that motor came out just when OMC hired Charlie Strang away from Merc. <br /><br />Coincidence? I think not!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The first "Stingers" were indeed V4s and were the Johnson counterpart to the "Strangler" V4 racers used on the tunnel boats of the day. They were not for general consumption and if indeed your V4 is a Stinger, you've got a rare gem on your hands. The commercially available Stingers were initially 65hp I-3s, followed by a 70, then 75hp models. <br /><br />In the mid 1970s Evinrude offered similar "high performance" models with special white with blue accent graphics, the Sizzler 2-cyl., Hustler 3-cyl, and Strangler V4. Although some of these models may have been used in racing, they were primarily just jazzed up graphics and paint versions of the regular models.<br /><br />The late 1970s/early 1980s saw several "Javelin" models, as Johnson dusted off the premium model name that was previously used on 30 and 35hp models in the mid 1950s. The 1980 model year had some snazzy gold accents - ...<br /><br />- Scott

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info guys! How can I tell if this really is a "Stinger"? The model number on the tag is: 115ESL70D. Now you got me really wanting to know the history of this boat!<br /><br />Dan

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the model no says it's a 1970 115hp just like my 70hp 1974 70ESL74M. I had a 75hp stinger motor that was a powerhouse but it was a 3 cyl. Good luck with it

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you had a real V4 Stinger or Strangler youd be going nuts trying to find a prop. And earplugs. And 100 octane fuel.

G DANE

Commander

HA HA 98 octane unleaded is available at any gas station here in DK, they all have 92 regular, 95 regular and 98 premium, take that. Does that mean we can start shaving cylinderheads ?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Jolly Roger,<br /> Sorry, but that "Stinger" logo doesn't resemble any Johnson created logo I've ever seen on a motor. I suspect someone added it after the fact...<br />- Scott

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh well, thanks anyways Scott. It was fun to dream about for a couple days! Plus the topic got me searching on the web and I found some old pics of tunnell boat racing they used to do around here. They did it on the same slough that I boat on, kinda cool!<br /><br />Dan

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ajolly<br />How soes this motor perform?

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

954winns-<br /><br />Well it performed very well until it overheated the last trip out. With a new water pump, t-stat, and head gaskets I hope to be back out on the water soon!<br /><br />Dan

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my 75hp stinger had a red cover with white letters on the sides abot 2" tall that said Stinger

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: anyone heard of a "stinger" motor?... How about a "Super Stinger"?

Re: anyone heard of a "stinger" motor?... How about a "Super Stinger"?

I recently bought a 1972 Glastron GT 160 and it has a Johnson motor on it that says "Super Stinger". The decal ("Johnson Super Stinger" on the same decal, no seperate stickers) is worn, but it is yellowish orange with a bee on it. The guy I bought it from said it was a 125hp and after driving it, I believe him on that. It sounds like an old muscle car fromt he same era! I count four spark plugs so that means 4 cyl, right? I can't find any information on the internet, however, regarding anything like this, therefore I'm not really sure if this is something rare or not.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Your Johnson V4 may have cylindrical shaped rubber plugs pressed in the water jackets to direct water flow. They swell with age and block water flow causing the engine to overheat. Since you overheated yours, it would be worthwhile to pull the heads and replace the plugs or at least check them--- if your engine has them.

toneenails

Recruit

Has anyone out there heard of a Johnson motor referred to as a "stinger"? My 1970 115hp has remnants of some old lettering on the motor cover which says "stinger". I have never seen this in old photos or heard of it before. Maybe it was done by a previous owner who thought it looked cool :cool: <br /><br />Stay Dry,<br />Dan

Hello I have a 1974 Crestliner with a Jonhson 65 hp Stinger 2 ( Mean Machine ) I believe I shot a gear through it though this past weekend and need to know if you may have any information on were to get parts? I will try
Johnson Motors Waukegan Illinois