150 Yamaha HPDI VS 4 STROKE

mharkness

Recruit
Re: 150 Yamaha HPDI VS 4 STROKE

vinney, you sound like somebody who has recently invested a ton of money in a HPDI engine. <br /><br />h20foul, Go for the 4-stroke. 2-strokes are on there way out and 4-strokes are the future. Vinney, likes to debate about how great 2 stroke engines perform at top speed but how do they perform at low speeds? I especially like how 4 strokes are quiet and idle perfectly. 2 stroke engines shutter and aren't efficient at low speeds. I personally have an evinrude 200 2 stroke and it screams at full speed but I have to increase idle speed just to keep it running smoothly at low speeds. I wish I had a 4 stroke and have even contemplated getting a new boat so I can get one.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys- scroll back up to the top and re-read the question. We're talking 150's here. Let's keep the comparison on track. There are at least two recently published tests that confirm the performance difference between the F150 and HPDI is about as close as any two motors could be. The F150 is an entirely new design with the HPDI being an enhancement of the older 2 stroke v-6 design. Both are fine motors of their individual type.<br /><br />H20fowl- I would look at the cold hard numbers that are available from recent tests on both of these motors rather than one individual opinion. Listening to comparisons of 225's vs 250's provides no real relevent information to base your decision on. You need to focus on comparisions of the 2 motors you asked about, both of which have a lot of recent reviews, which is great for you. Good luck in your choice and enjoy! :cool:

NOSLEEP

Commander

Vinney, I agree. This new 2 stroke technology is<br />top notch, there will be no large 4 strokes on<br />my boats.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

Mharkness. I have and do. I sell and support the Best outboard ever made. I love a two-stroke and love even More the badest outboard on the planet HPDI's. Nothing is better than spooling up a big set of HPDI's They run so unbelievable. I have never seen anything put a smile on a grown mans face like a set of HPDI's rotation the planet axis. You better be holding on real tight. I herd they may out law four-strokes. I will always drive the biggest suv/truck made and I never worrie about the price of fuel.

Forktail

Ensign

vinney, put the crack pipe down.<br /><br />I own 4-strokes because they have proven to be the best. No shop talk here, just hard saltwater fishing experience. I run a fleet of commercial charter boats, plus I commercial fish and sport fish. You know, a "poor, self-employed male". LMAO. :) I've been there and done that with 2-strokes, HPDI's, FICHTS, etc. The only engine I haven't run is the new E-TEC. How about you?<br /><br />The 4-strokes have saved me money in fuel costs and maintenance. They perform better, trolling and idling effortlessly. They live longer. They are more dependable. No catestrophic failures like the HPDI's. No smoke. No hard starts or cold weather concerns. My clients like them better, and they are just plain more enjoyable to own. They've saved my life more than once. And when I'm all done with them, they're still worth something.<br /><br />BTW, I could care less about hydrocarbons and clean outboards. I own a F550 4X4 with a 444 cubic inch diesel, custom modified injectors, custom modified turbo, custom chipped, 5" exhaust, ram intake, etc, etc. Blows smoke like a coal burning chimney. A 1-ton? LMAO. :) SUV? You mean like my lifted and modified Powerstroke Excursion? LMAO. :) <br /><br />The only thing HPDI's suck is the money out of your wallet and the confidence to run 100 miles off shore. You should quit wrenching on those HPDI's and get out more vinney.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

DING DING DING- "The fight is officially stopped in the middle of the fourth round. The judges have ruled a disqualification on all fighters due to multiple, repeated low blows. All spectators are herby asked to exit the arena in an orderly fashion. Thank you for attending." :p

h20fowl

Cadet

Hay guys I was just starting to enjoy this! Just joking, I am very glad I made this post before I figured out which engine I was going to put on the back of this bay boat. As I said I am going to go with the F150 and I know I made the right choice for me. I have a 90hp e-tec on my duck boat and love it.

mharkness

Recruit

Originally posted by Quantumleap:<br /> DING DING DING- "The fight is officially stopped in the middle of the fourth round. The judges have ruled a disqualification on all fighters due to multiple, repeated low blows. All spectators are herby asked to exit the arena in an orderly fashion. Thank you for attending." :p
I didn't get the impression it was a fight but merely a debate....HPDI 2 stroke 150 Vs. F150 4 stroke. I have the feeling that mechanics who work on 2 strokes like to critisize 4 stroke engines. My local mechanic, who is a great mechanic by the way, hates 4 strokes and says "they are junk". What? Why? "All the guides that have used them, hate them". Really? "Yep". <br /><br /><br />Are they insecure because the engines they know best might be changing?

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

2 Strokes will soon be joining the ranks of wagon wheeels and black & White TV's. Mercury just invested nearly a 100 million in their new inline 6 cyl. 4 strokes, Suzuki has gone to an all 4 stroke line-up and Honda has always been a 4 stroke company. Face it guys...gas burns better without oil in it!!!!! I'd go with the 4 strokes just as the boating industry is. <br />LW

NOSLEEP

Commander

Technology will lead the industry, just like it<br />is does in all other facets of life.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

Forktree weren't you a builder. Now your a commerical fisherman? What gives the housing market has never been better in this country. I have always been in the boat business. Some of my best customers are builders(they have made alot of money Real gap). Now your an expert in the boat business what next? I have never been in any other business and have always had plenty of work summer or winter. Our biggest King mackeral tournament is in two weeks. Come play with the big boys. There aren't many four stroke on the big boys boats I guess all the boys who play to win HAVE it all wrong. Total prizes are $100.000.00 We don't have one big player we service with four-stroke that (fish the circuit). WHY? Because the boys fish and don't spent all there time reading some consumer report. Real world vs. Book smart. There is a system called DISC or Disc system. It breaks down everyone temperament to four groups. D dominate I inner social S security C cautious. D temperments are business owners they get the job done. They also like two-strokes. C temperments like four-strokes. D temperment own business C temperment are good bean counters. C temperments don't make good business owners.D get the job done and c take forever to get the job done. Most C temperments love four stroke and D temperment love two-strokes. We don't have any customers that are D temperments that own four-strokes. We as a company don't hire C temperments they can't think on there feet. Yes we do give them a profile befor we hire people. Temperment means more to me that a resume. Forktree C temperment? If you like to learn about DISC its at DISC profiles.com We have used DISC for many years both with our help and customers. Most D own two-stokes.

Forktail

Ensign

You're crack'n me up vinney. :D <br /><br />No. Not a builder. Sorry. Don't know where you got that from, or why the resume and $$ status is so important to you? Maybe you're a dreamer.<br /><br />I'm a retired petroleum and aircraft engineer (mechanical) gone fleet charter boat owner/operator. Commercial fished ever since I was a kid. A few health problems keep me in front of the computer from time to time.<br /><br />My experience comes from actually fishing and being on the water. I'm done wrenching on outboards, and I've been in enough tournaments to get my fill.<br /><br />As far as your temperament DISC theory? :D LMAO :D I can only imagine how you rate one outboard being better than another...on looks or color perhaps? :rolleyes: <br /><br />I use 4-strokes because they are the best for what I do. As most anyone would agree, HPDI's are more troublesome. I don't fish in waters where there are hundreds of boats fishing a tournament, and help is nearby. I fish where there's nothing but you, your outboards, and the ocean. BTW, I love 2-strokes and have snowmobiles, ATV's, bikes, etc. (some which are modified). But when it comes to outboards, it 4-strokes. Been there, done that.

mharkness

Recruit

Vinney, interesting take on temperment and which termperment would like a 2 stroke vs. which temperment would like a 4 stroke. Funny. I'm a business owner and a life long risk taker. However, I make calculated risks. Now I ask you, would you rather be 30-40 miles away from the boat ramp with a 2 stroke HPDI or a 4 stroke?? I guess the added security of knowing I have enough fuel and that the engine on my boat will start every time. <br /><br />BTW, the quiet ride of a 4 stroke appeals to me. Anybody out there own a larger 4 stoke engine who could pass on your experiences?

Forktail

Ensign

BTW, the quiet ride of a 4 stroke appeals to me. Anybody out there own a larger 4 stoke engine who could pass on your experiences?
I own some of the big ones. There's no comparison. <br /><br />For example if you're looking for hard data, the 4-stroke in the F200 example above is 6 db quieter at maximum. Almost 10 db quieter at other RPM. Put twins on and it adds up.<br /><br />I see no advantage to the HPDI, other than they're usually cheaper to purchase. Maybe vinney could tell us why they have a 2-year factory warranty vs. the 4-stroke's 3-year?

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

There offer 3 years so people will buy them. I have said many many times All the big boys who play to win RUN two-strokes. PLEASE come to wilmington for our King makeral tournament in two weeks see how the big boys play. $100.000.00 in prize money. I have never seen a fountain with four strokes ever. The 31 and 27 Contenders don't come with four strokes. Donzi's You don't see four strokes hanging off the back either. WHY Because they don't get the job done. I guess the boys who really make the money fishing HAVE it all wrong. When the winning fishing team here wins IT will have TWO-STROKE HPDI's hanging off the back of there rig. I said befor we can't get our hand on enough 250 and 300 HPDI's. To answer you question When we go to the stream its with Two-strokes and There HPDI's. The stream starts 47 miles of the coast of Wilmington. We only fish with two-strokes.

h20fowl

Cadet

I just cam back from fishing Rockport Texas and saw alot of four strokes off the backs of boats form 15' all the way up to 32'. I think I saw only one HPDI and all the others were older 2 strokes. I guess these hard working Texas fisherman know something the rest of the east cost has not figured out yet!

Alex65

Seaman

I would like to jump in here & throw in my 2 cents worth. I have owned a 1995 & 1997 Mariner/Mercury (115HP & 135 HP) engines. <br /><br />We just purchased a new Honda BF150 4-Stroke & let me say, I'll never, ever look back! The engine starts up like a car & our fuel consumption savings is @ least 50% better! No smoke & you can't even hear it @ idle. <br /><br />On the other side of the coin, we also just purchased a Tohatsu 9.8 2-Stroke OB for our inflatable & I love it! It's weight is only 57 lbs. & it's starts on the first pull. I think 2-Strokes have there place, but not anything larger then 15 horses IMHO.

Forktail

Ensign

vinney, somehow I picture you as 5'2" with a johnson the size of a pencile eraser. :D <br /><br />Largest Yamaha dealer in America. Nothing but 4-strokes. HPDI is a bad word.<br /><br />When you're done beating your chest, come on up to Alaska where being on the water means more than "playing". You can see how the $big money$ is made...by working. Sorry, no Fountains and Contenders with their HPDI's...they break apart when they hit the rip trash.<br /><br />Keep dreaming about that $100,000 King Makeral vinney. It'll give you something to do while you're wrenching on those HPDI's. ;)