Why a Primer Bulb?

tbsmith

Cadet
I have a basic theory question of why my 175 Sport Jet (or most outboards for that matter) need a primer bulb. My previous boat (merc 140 i/o) didn't have one, but seems like all outboards do.<br /><br />Why can't they just get rid of it, since it seems like a source of a lot of problems?<br /><br />Don't the floats in the carb hold enough fuel to get the engine running, if it's been sitting for a while? <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Tom

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Why a Primer Bulb?

your previous boat was an inboard..... diefferent animal, chief

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Part of the problem is that most outboards are up above the fuel tanks. I would guess that most inboards are more or less at the same level and it would be easier for the fuel pump to get a prime going. I would also guess that in addition to normal evaporation, tilting the outboard probably dumps some of the gas out of the carbs.

tbsmith

Cadet

Thanks Phatmanmike.<br /><br />I guess my question could have read, why do outboards (and jet drives) need a primer bulb and inboards (and SUVs and cars) don't?<br /><br />It can't be because of gravity, since most cars and inboards I know have the gas tank below the carbs. I know most new cars have the fuel pump in the tank, but older cars didn't, and yet they didn't have a primer bulb either. <br /><br />Regards,<br />Tom

tbsmith

Cadet

jimd, Our postings crossed in the web. Good point though about the outboard tilting - I hadn't thought of that. <br /><br />I'm also wondering if there is a difference in fuel pumps since 2 cycle motors don't have a cam to drive a displacement pump. It's been a while since I've worked on 2 strokes - What drives their fuel pumps and could that be the reason?<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Tom

LubeDude

Admiral

The reason is this:<br /><br />Car engines and inboard boat engines have much larger fuel pumps, they can fill the carbs in just a few cranks of the engine. Outboards on the other hand have very small fuel pumps and would need much longer cranking times to fill up to six carbs.. Pumping the bulb saves your starter, battery and time.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard.

D

DJ

What?? Your car doesn't have a primer bulb! :eek: <br /><br />Automotive fuel pumps (electric or mechanical) are far more powerful than the pulse type on outboards. Plus, as mentioned, it's there to save batteries and make for quick starts.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Tbsmith, the outboard fuel pump uses the alternating vacuum and pressure pulse in the crankcase/transfer port to suck and push the gas using a rubber diaphragm and a couple of one-way check valves.