1994 Mercury 125 HP Redstripe

Dale Albert

Recruit
I'm not new to boating, but I am new to boat ownership. I'm looking at a 1995 17-foot fiberglass bay-boat hull with a 1994 Merc 125 HP OB Redstripe attached. The current owner tells me the original motor on this hull was a 1995 but was stolen as soon as the he bought the boat, so replaced it with a 1994. I understand that the Merc reds are fresh and the blues are saltwater. What's the difference in construction between the two? I plan to run this boat in saltwater (I live in Tampa, FL). Will this freshwater motor rust away overnight after a day of slat spray, even if I wash it down religously? The boat doesn't seem to have been used much and looks sound. There are signs of wear on the aluminum prop (deeply scored, leading edge is chewed up), the lower unit oil looks good, I haven't checked compression yet. Som of the bolts on the port side of the powerhead have begun to rust, as has the lowest spark plug. Everything else under the cowling looks good. Will this motor hold up in the salt?

D

DJ

Re: 1994 Mercury 125 HP Redstripe

Dale,<br /><br />Is it going to corrode away overnight? No. However, the corosion around the spark plug concerns me a bit. It may just be the head cover leaking a little.<br /><br />We all have great intentions of washing everything down after every trip. You may do that, however, you do not know what the previous owners habits were.<br /><br />The SW series had more Stainless fasteners and components.

Dale Albert

Recruit

DJ -<br /><br />Thanks for the reply. I guess I won't worry about it too much. It's on consignment and they have a set price of $7,200. The dealer (where it's on consignment) have indicated that they aren't willing to negotiate, but that's really the first step of negotiation, to make the other party think you're not going to come down. I won't pay that much and I'll walk away if they don't bring it down to $6,000. The engine issue is the main reason why. Anyone in Florida have a thought on the price? It's a 17' SportCraft bay boat, walk-around.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Have you thought about buying directly from a seller - private sale? $7,200 is way out of line for a 10 year old 17'er in my book. You can get a new one with warranty for $10K.<br /><br />$6,000 wouldn't be bad if it were a 19'er in great shape. Get a copy of Boat Trader at 7-11 & check for alternatives.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Dale<br />Dale the Offshore 125's have a few upgrade components such as water pump housing, propshaft, shiftshaft and driveshaft. But for years Mercury didnt offer any special models for salt water and with proper mantenance they ran for years. If it checks out with proper care it should be around for awhile.<br />LW<br />------------------------------------------------<br />This is only this boat lovers recommendation. The buyer is the final authority!