mercury 45 h.p 1961 not yet used

talitje

Seaman Apprentice
Hallo i am thinking about buying a brand new (showroomengine) 45 h.p shortshaft mercury outboard engine from 1961 , that never has been used , my question is can i stil get parts , like water pomp(impellor) , a prop ,for this engine , may i need it ? engine serial nr is : 148168 thanks a lot for the info , the weather is getting beter , i would like to ad a picture of this beautiful engine but it seems i cant . ;)

ZmOz

Captain
Re: mercury 45 h.p 1961 not yet used

Yeah, you should still be able to find parts. I wouldn't use it though...that thing could be worth a LOT of money in a few years if it isn't already.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

That's a 1962 model ya got there. Nice find!! Send the pic to me and I will post it for you, if you like. I sure would like to see it anyway.<br /><br />rickdb1@earthlink.net<br /><br /> web page

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

An old motor is only "never used" once. If you like that particular motor you can probably sell it and use the procedes to buy 5 others of similar model and vintage, and have enough left over to pay someone to restore one to perfection. They're not an uncommon motor, though not as common as the very similar Merc 500 of the same vintage..<br />- Scott

talitje

Seaman Apprentice

if i like it, i can sel it ? IF I LIKE IT , I WIL KEEP IT , works beter for me .<br /><br /> i know now that i can stil get the parts (may i need them) . Does any one know a store in the states that wil ship parts to outside the states ? thank you 4 the replies . ;)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Pic of talitje's Mercury:<br /><br />
fd7d.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Talitje,<br /> Actually, if you like it, get one that has already been used. Your motor is worth far more in it's "not yet used" state than it will ever be once you clamp it on your boat. What you decide is ultimately up to you, but I think the general feeling is that you should keep the motor in its present condition. .. Good luck!<br />- Scott

D

DJ

That is not an engine that I would use a daily runner. It's far to valuable to a collector to be used. Unless, you put it on a boat of the same vintage.

talitje

Seaman Apprentice

thank you a lot for the replies , chinawalker : i gues youre right, but , its verry hard not to take this beautiful engine for a spin , on my 13 ft boot , now considering to use or not to use ,i'm not thinking of ever selling this engine , so i might as wel take here for a spin ? i,ve got til summer any way to figure that one out , in the mean while , thanks a lot guys . ;)

talitje

Seaman Apprentice

to:rickdb1boat : Thank you for adding picture of my 45 h.p i now own,WHERE IS THE PICTURE GONE ? , after a litle tune up ,replacing dryed out cracked water line , fresh gas/oil mix(oil 100% synt castrol TTS 1:40 y primed the primer bulb , put the choke on and at the 4 th pull she started right up , put of the choke and she idles smooth cooling works direct.After 10 idle ,revt her up a litle,let her idle again, runs real smooth and idles smooth, at idle,y shifted to forward and she woeshes forward in idle speed (smooth)(in a real big container 200 liters of fresh clean water)when shifting to REVERSE I HEAR LIKE A LOCK SOUND (engine lock)when y put it in reverse and woeshes in reverse at idle ,put the engine out , and restarted a couple of hours later in 3/4 of a pull she was running , turns out to be a great running engine after 42 years of hanging around,(y wasin doubt about buying this engine) i am going to swap my 25 h.p sho,sha Johnie on my 9 ft V hull for the 45 h.p this summer .litle overpowered(my wife thinks, she helped me check spark , by holding the 4 spark plugs in here bare hands, close to the block,as y told here to look for sparks hihi i had fun, as i could see and hear her light up she anwered they al 4 spark ,WHERE IS THE PICTURE GONE THAT RICKDB1BOAT PLACED FOR ME ? greetings :p , my measerments wore faulty my boat is 2.60 m that makes it about 9 ft and not 13 ft :eek:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Wow! You are one brave succa for putting a 45 hp on a 9 foot runabout. Better take a parachute with you or an aqualung. Seriously, don't you think that's overpowering your boat just a bit. I wouldn't put more than a 25 hp on a boat that small and light.

phatmanmike

Captain

d o n o t u s e t h a t m o t o r ! !<br /><br />E V E R <br /><br />why would you ruin such a long, painstaking course that the previoous owner tried to achieve?<br /><br /><br />leave it and get yourself a different one

talitje

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Guys: What can y say ? Exept , that i'l be Careful with the throthle , I'm stil working on the Transom (reinforcing) , than i'l reinforce the hull a litle , before going for a spin .<br />y am not going to ruin the engine , Just want more speed , and i like this engine . Especialy because it has no C.D.I or switchbox that wil break down sooner or later .This old fashioned in new condition engine ,wil last me longer , than a new engine , Y think . And y only use boat and engine 12 times a year and for 4 hours at a time ,in sweet water after each use,i get the boat out of the water , and store engine in my living room , i'l reply pictures when engine is mounted , greetings from one stuborn sweet water pirate ;)