2004 Honda 40 vs. Johnson 40

prcarlson

Recruit
I'm buying a new 18' pontoon boat for a small lake and I plan to put a new 4 stroke 40 hp motor on it. What's important to me is quiet, smooth and vibration free at low speed, and dependable, trouble free long life (I tend to keep things for a long time). <br /><br />I don't mind performing the recommended maintenance, but I do mind expensive repairs. The dealer sells both Honda and Johnson, which one is best? Thank you!

Forktail

Ensign
Re: 2004 Honda 40 vs. Johnson 40

Honda makes a fine 40 HP. But compared to the Johnson 40, the Honda is carbed and the Johnson is EFI. The Honda will be a single cam belt driven design instead of the twin cam oil bathed chain drive of the Johnson. You'll also find the Johnson has a little bigger displacement and alternator output, and it comes standard with things like trim/tilt (the Honda doesn't). To top it off, the Johnson will give you a higher gear ratio (lower gearing) of 2.27:1 vs the Honda's 2.09:1. And that's better for your toon. ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Forktail.<br /><br />The user friendliness and reliability of an EFI 4 stroke engine is light years beyond even the excellent Honda carbed engine.

phatmanmike

Captain

that johnson is actually a suzuki in johnson clothing... and their new motors, the 4 stroke efi, they are the new revolution in boating, to say the least, and NO, i dont own one, i cant afford one, right yet, buit you just wait...<br /><br />that johnson has an advantage over the honda in almost every catagory, if not ALL !! <br />efi, oil bathed chain, etc etc etc....efi enough sells me.. if you want quiet and trouble free. look no further... go to suzuki website and read some of they stuff !!!!

D

DJ

Nothing wrong with either of them. Apparently, you like the deealer so that is a big plus.<br /><br />The technical advantage goes to the John/Suzy along with some nice features. So far, the durability of those engines has been superb.

josip_voyager

Seaman

In Aussie market Honda mid-range OBs seems to be the most reliable engines on the market,and Honda made some modifications on midrange OB for model year 2004 (higher ccm, CARB 2008...).<br />Since I have carbed Honda which runs fine,I would prefer Honda over Johnny.