• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Evinrude vs. Mercury

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude vs. Mercury

Iam getting a new boat and I can't choose between a Mercury 115 Opti Max or a Evinrude 115 Direct Injection. Which one should I go with and why?

Re: Evinrude vs. Mercury

Neither, I would get a 4-stroke.JD

Comment

Yep. Get a 4 stroke.The wave of the future.If you have to have a 2 stroke, you might consider a 'Rude E-Tec.Uh-Oh, now the war will begin anew. Good luck.
      sigpic

Comment

I agree about the war starting, but let me get in early, as it is usually a war of opinion. I personally see no advaantage to 4 strokes, at least in the outboard world. Between those two motors I would go with the Evinrude, OMC originally tested the Ficht system and the OptiMax system, they determined the Ficht(which is now just the direct injection) to be the better system and Merc. bought the Optimax. If I was gonna repower right now in that HP range, I would get the 90 HP E-TEC, I have read reports that it outperforms the 115 direct injection motors and the fuel economy, emmisions, and volume are on par with a 4 stroke. Good luck with the new motor, whichever it may be.

Comment

I would go with whatever is cheapest. They're both going to perform about the same. I would like to point out that most outboard racers use Mercury...

Comment

mmcpek; More "URBAN LEGEND"....Where did you get your Info. Merc. bought a controlling Interest In "Orbital Engine" In Austrailia. A tried and true Induction system. Merc's Optimax had a few problems (but that happens when you are designing and manufacturing the most sophisticated production Internal combustion engine ever built) and Merc stood AND stands behind every legitimate complaint It Is made aware of. As for OMC, I have no factual Info......

Comment

Speaking of Urban Legends, Wakebite, where did you get this "most sophisticated internal combustion engine ever built" nonsense??Maybe the most sophisticated 2 stroke outboard ever built by Mercury. Maybe not even that.
              sigpic

Comment

Fact Is my friend, The optimax, When first Introduced was, and I quote " The most technologically (sp) advanced ICE engine with production numbers over 1000 units , being built In the world".

Comment

J.B....With all due respect, Do you know what "Lost foam casting" Is....The difference between a "Digital" signal and an "Analog" signal Is ?.....

Comment

Wakebite...I got my info from an OMC(Bombardier) factory rep.. Ever thought maybe OMC tried both systems out before Merc. bought Orbital Engine. I am not saying that the Optimax system is bad or even that Mercs are bad, we all know the problems that OMC had when they first produced the Ficht(Direct Injection), but they have worked them out, as I am sure Merc has with the Optimax problems. I am just giving my opinion, what I would do and what I like better, which is why I said if "I" were going to repower, same as the guys who said they would get a 4 stroke. In actuality, either one that he buys would probably perform great and he would be happy. As for the Optimax being the most sophisticated internal combustion engine ever built, I would have to disagree, I am with JB on that one, maybe 2 stroke. Even at the time when Optimax came out there were far more sophisticated 4 strokes in cars, even today with the E-TEC, which is the most sophisticated thing that has ever been on the water, the auto industry blows it out of the water, or else you wouldn't have seen a carb in the last 15 years on any outboard.

Comment

You guys are not getting It....The ECM (built by Motorola) At the time was 5-6 time more powerful than any ECM used In a production automobile. Automobile engines run at 15-2500 rpm's...NOT 5-6000....Automobiles are of a 4-stroke design, Not a 2-stroke....They have a wet sump oiling system for lubrication. The Opti has an electric oil pump that meters ratios from 400:1 at Idle to 60:1 at WOT. Direct Injected engines are ALWAYS on the edge of a melt down, That's why the burn so clean...HeatP.S. The Optimax was Introduced In 1996 as a 1997 model....7-years ago...E-tec Is only 19 months old....

Comment

F.Y.I. Hey guys, I don't want you to think that I am a smart aleck or a snot. I have owned a boat dealership for 24 years. I've been a Merc., Mercruiser and Force stocking dealer for that time and have been very well educated by Mercury Marine. I have close friends and contacts At Merc., General Motors engineering (engine, driveline and electrical), Ford Fuel system and driveline engineering and most Dept's at Dodge. I have been to Lake X twice and was at "Mercabo"(Placida Florida testing and endurance, near Gaspirilla island) For a week. One of my very close friends and customers Was the chief engineer for the Chrysler 426 Hemi-project. I am surrounded by a wealth of Information plus a ton of experience. I may come across as cynical or sarcastic, But i am not. Happy boating, Wakebite...

Comment

Hmm... Then why did Mercury Marine go out and "buy back" every 1997 model OptiMax? Maybe they ran too good and that was bad for the parts business - eh?Then there was all them service bulletins and upgrade kits that everyone "forgets" about. I lost track of the number of Opti kits I installed - What a pain!Lets see,-1998 Oil reservoirs, oil pump gaskets, oil pump to cylinder oil lines, starter motors, kinked fuel distribution lines, fuel rails and fuel injector retainer bolts (and that's just the 1st TSB). -Also belt tensioner and alternator bracket (remember all that belt dust?) and of course the flywheel cover with a redesigned air filter so the belt dust wouldn't get into the air compressor and trash it. -Then there was the oil check valve kit, so oil wouldn't drain back out of the lines (yep, that failed a few powerheads). -1999, that stupid end cap on the compressor - Oh, by the way, those compressors hate salt water. -Let's see 2000, the end cap again, this time leaking oil. -2001: Direct Injectors coming apart and pintles falling into the combustion chamber (bet that trashed a few powerheads).-an incorrect hook up caused sensor voltage to go crazy, burning up ECU's and causing idle speeds in excess of 2000 rpm's (try docking or trailering at that speed!)-Spark plug fouling, hmmm... -fuel rails and t-stats (120 degree t-stats too, ain't that kinda' too cool???). -More spark plug fouling issues and replacement ECU's. -O yes, don't forget the Smart Craft Guages (Yeh, I know, they're not an Opti problem, but its the only engine that they worked with back then) more problems with reference voltages causing hi-idle speed (1200 rpm this time, at least if the operator is "strong armed", he has a chance to get it out of gear before the boat goes over the dock!) -Oh, I almost forgot - several thousand Opti's recalled for a potential fuel leak - seems the cross over hose was rubbing on a mounting bolt. -Then there was the total halt in production and sales of the 3.0 litres (200/225 hp), seems that 175's were passing them like rockets...Look, it's not my intent to "bash" the Opti, or start a war over it. It too had (and in cases still has) it's own problems. It don't matter if it's 2 stroke or 4, carbureted, EFI or DI - they're all pieces of machinery, all built somewhere along the way by a human - and occassionally, humans make mistakes.Y'all gotta' buy, and run, what fits your budget and what you are comfortable with.Later,John

Comment

John... WE can all list the fixes and updates.....That's not the point. We are not talking good, bad, worst or best. We are talking technology.....Who told you Merc. bought back all 1997 MY opti's....I tend to speak In facts, not urban legend...I have 6 or 7 '97's On customers boats In storage....

Comment

The Merc service rep at my previous dealership, is who I got that info from. No details were provided, just a statement he made. Also, I've never personally even seen a 1997 model - I believe they we decaled "DFI" yes?Ok, maybe I did jerk your chain a little bit too hard - I agree with the technology thing - I hope I made my point in my last paragraphs.-John

Comment

Working...
                              X