Engine cylinder hone stone grit?

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What grit- fine, medium, coarse are you guys using to hone your motors? Gonna hone one soon and like to hear what everyone has experienced with their setup. Thanks!
Piston rings are cast and cylinder is steal.

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so i get one slightly larger then the cylinder bore? I have another outboard I'll use to figure the 45? hatch marks.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I will agree about a ball hone on a 4 stroke, but on a 2 stroke, I feel the ball hone will do some damage to the ports, and the ports will chew up the ball hone

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree, the straight stones in a spring mounted cylinder hone set (3 stones) will bridge the ports. The ball type will plunge in and out during operation, this will probably damage the cylinder.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If the cylinder is straight use a ball hone. If its out a tad use a rigid hone then crosshatch with ball hone.Ball hones have been used for years with no problems.They will not damage the ports as in fact they will smooth sharp edges that could catch rings. The only thing to watch is if a ball gets pulled and is not noticed laying in a port when reassembled. Spring hones should never be used on cylinders that are not straight as they follow cylinder imperfections

boobie

Supreme Mariner
After boring a cylinder on a 2 stroke I've always used a ball hone to smooth the ports off so they wouldn't catch a ring. Never had a problem in 40 years.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
You perhaps need to know what it requires. Some specially coated 2 stroke cylinder units require a diamond edged hone....and obviously the method you use to hone is the most important thing of all. Really need to get the right pattern on the liner, as you will know.

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the cylinder is straight use a ball hone. If its out a tad use a rigid hone then crosshatch with ball hone.Ball hones have been used for years with no problems.They will not damage the ports as in fact they will smooth sharp edges that could catch rings. The only thing to watch is if a ball gets pulled and is not noticed laying in a port when reassembled. Spring hones should never be used on cylinders that are not straight as they follow cylinder imperfections

Thanks for your in site on this Fazt. I have another outboard I will practice on. Issue is the ball hone is an 1/8 smaller then the bore. Could i still use it to practiceon with similar results? Thanks!

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
You perhaps need to know what it requires. Some specially coated 2 stroke cylinder units require a diamond edged hone....and obviously the method you use to hone is the most important thing of all. Really need to get the right pattern on the liner, as you will know.

Hi thanks! This bore is steel, so I'd assume i need to use a regular ball hone like this.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brh-bc21418

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Here is how you decide what size you need...

"Tool Diameter is determined by the bore size you are working with. Flex-Hones do not cover a range of sizes. The proper size tool is critical for achieving the highest overall performance and tool life. For example, a 1" Flex-Hone size is ordered if a 1" bore is to be finished and the tool is provided oversized. If the bore size is between standard Flex-Hone sizes, the next larger standard Flex-Hone should be selected. For instance, if the nominal bore is 1.093", then the 1-1/8" Flex-Hone is ordered."
The only diamond impregnated hone are used on Mercosil block as you do not hone Nicasil or chrome plated cylinders for outboards...scotch bright only

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Also worth noting that the most important thing of all is the method used when honing....no doubt you will be aware of this.

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is how you decide what size you need...

"Tool Diameter is determined by the bore size you are working with. Flex-Hones do not cover a range of sizes. The proper size tool is critical for achieving the highest overall performance and tool life. For example, a 1" Flex-Hone size is ordered if a 1" bore is to be finished and the tool is provided oversized. If the bore size is between standard Flex-Hone sizes, the next larger standard Flex-Hone should be selected. For instance, if the nominal bore is 1.093", then the 1-1/8" Flex-Hone is ordered."
The only diamond impregnated hone are used on Mercosil block as you do not hone Nicasil or chrome plated cylinders for outboards...scotch bright only

Thanks allot! Things will get rolling soon