Free motors - Classics or worthless?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If you can even find the parts you will need. It will probably cost more to get them running then what they are worth. I am not saying they are something to throw away. And would be good for parts, or someone looking to make them run and use them.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I just recently sold two mid 50's merc outboards for $100 each (about 1/3 of what I had in them). the issue is some of the ignition parts are worth more as parts than a complete running motor.

if my mark 20 was a 20H with the proper lower unit, I could have sold it for about $2k....but it was a fishing motor

if the KE4 has the merc racing mid-section or lower foot, it would be worth something. the power head was a heavier duty version of the KE3

it may sell for $200 or it may sell fully restored for $700. however to properly restore it, you may spend $400-$500 on parts

agree on checking AOMCI as well as oldmerc

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Actually the elgin is the more interesting of the 2 motors. The fact it has selectable Hp and it has the key which is almost always missing.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I probably don't need any more projects, but they're free! I'll go pick them up tomorrow if they're still available. I can't lose money just selling for parts I guess.