Feedback on Yamaha 150 ETLK and Sketer Starfire 150 bass boat.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an opportunity to pick up a 1985 boat/motor/trailer combo for $1,000. The motor is the Yamaha 150ETLK and the boat is a Skeeter Starfire 150. The trailer looks like the original trailer. The reason I'm posting this here instead of in the Yamaha/Suzuki forum is because I'd like opinions from other than just Yamaha fans. The motor looks to be in great shape and to the point of even having almost perfect paint on the prop shaft gear housing (foot). The boat too is in good shape but is quite dusty from sitting in an out building. No nesting or damage apparent under the cowling. Transom seems firm. Looks like it has never seen salt water. Engine paint color shows no variation as in being overheated.

Is this a desirable motor?

Dependable?

Known problems?

Fuel hog?

Parts available?

I am an OMC fan and do remember reading about lawsuits where Yamaha reverse engineered OMC outboards and even lost a law suit to OMC over the issue. This looks to me like it could be an OMC copy but I don't know.

Looking over specs found on the web it look like the same block/pistons etc. may have been used on the 175 and 200hp motors. I'm basing this on weights listed.

It is the motor I'm really after for use on a vintage boat and most likely would sell the Skeeter Starfire 150 bass boat.

I may go get it tomorrow. I have also considered just reselling for profit but that is not my main motivation for buying. I'm in the market for a quality motor around this HP.

Public and private feedback welcome.

Thanks,

Dan N.

Last edited: