15Hp question

Yoslick

Cadet
Hi! Just joined the forum, recently picked up a new to me Boat and motor and trailer, 1985 Sea Nymph Deep V aluminum fishing boat, left to rot in the back yard since 1995, wife and I are restoring the innerds. Luckily the motor was on a saw horse in the garage since 95 and seems to be in working order, fires right up and good water flow out the cooling system. Very difficult finding info on the motor but Lowe's has been very helpful on the hull. Anyways the tag on the side says Mariner 15M Ser# 684 CL 321373. Trying to figure out year of Mfg, and possibly finding an owners manual/Repair manual...Any and all help would be appreciated!!

Thanks much, looking forward to reading thru the many posts !!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Although fires right up and discharges water nicely through cooling system, it's not a good indication that the impeller being rubber made is in top shape working order. Could be dried, cracked, hardened and fail soon and over heat OB soon after when boating. Replace it along gear oil.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
impellers last 2-3 years before the rubber starts to degrade, regardless if the motor was used every day for 24 hours a day or sat on a saw horse in a garage.

change the impeller

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You have the Yamaha built mariner motor. Excellent motor the dealer will be the most help to you. I believe Sierra makes some replacement parts for that motor.

Yoslick

Cadet
Thanks for the Yamaha tip, hopefully ordered the right impellar, picked up a large tube of lower unit lube to do at the same time as the water pump. Hhhhmmmm, 40 some views and still no idea what year this engine is... :(

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Year should be irrelevant, being model all about...

Happy Boating

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the Yamaha tip, hopefully ordered the right impellar, picked up a large tube of lower unit lube to do at the same time as the water pump. Hhhhmmmm, 40 some views and still no idea what year this engine is... :(
You probably can call Mercury/ Mariner customer service and give them the model/serial numbers you posted to get a year model.

Tony

Yoslick

Cadet
Ok, sent an Email off to Mercury see what happens, did get the right impellar and swapped that out as well as the lube in the lower unit, took it out yesterday morning witht he Momma for a quick ride and was impressed with the performance as well as ease to start and steer. Cruises right along, however towards the end of our 45 min ride I believe the prop began to slip inside the hub?? Used to shear pins.. Can a stock hub be pressed out and replaced or should I just get another new prop????
Thanks

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Mark (or scribe) the prop and the hub to check for a spun prop.

Any good prop shop can replace the hub.

Yoslick

Cadet
Ok, new prop came and went on nicely, took it out yesterday for a little fishing expedition with the Mrs. and all worked fine!! May have to adjust the tranny linkage as it seems to want to go into forward with very little effort, caught a couple hammer handles and am very happy!! Thanks all for the help!!