Do I keep my Yamaha or johnson

River Explorer

Seaman Apprentice
Seeing what y'all think. I have a 1984 yamaha 25 2cyl. Came across it in someone's garage and it may have 50-100 hours. Original water impeller had no wear at all. Also have a 1995 johnson 25. Very clean and operates like new. I'm selling one to a friend and I have no idea which one to keep. I have put hours on both and really like both. I'm not worried about common fuel issues I run ethanol free fuel. Both are original prop motors . What do you think?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Strictly personal opinion... if parts availability is good for the Johnson, I'd choose it over the Yamaha. Newer 4-stroke Yammies have gained a great rep, but the older ones are not, IMO, as good. Had a '95 Yamaha 85 2-stroke and I didn't like it. Among other niggling problems I had to replace the driveshaft with an upgraded one. The original wasn't stainless and corroded down to nothing. The little Johnsons and Evinrudes have a rep for being bulletproof.

My .02

River Explorer

Seaman Apprentice
Which one is easiest to find parts for?

I have access to parts for both motors. I didn't want to open a can of worms. Just didn't know if either motor had a specific problem that people have had. I usually do a 150+mile camping trip on the Arkansas river each year. I know I'm running a older motor.

River Explorer

Seaman Apprentice
Strictly personal opinion... if parts availability is good for the Johnson, I'd choose it over the Yamaha. Newer 4-stroke Yammies have gained a great rep, but the older ones are not, IMO, as good. Had a '95 Yamaha 85 2-stroke and I didn't like it. Among other niggling problems I had to replace the driveshaft with an upgraded one. The original wasn't stainless and corroded down to nothing. The little Johnsons and Evinrudes have a rep for being bulletproof.

My .02

Thanks!this is my 4th of that series of yamaha. All were great but I'm really liking the johnson. I had one before this one and it was a champ as well. Just sold my evenrude tiller 40.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Not an issue running old OB's with few or a lot hours on them, good oil, service, maintenance, good care is all what matters..

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the 1984 yammy being 34 years old, that impeller is 31 years past when it was supposed to be changed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as long as you changed it. impellers are not an hour of use thing. its a calendar event regardless if the motor is ever started

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The early Yamahas weren't very corrosion resistant, and many were copies of OMC engines.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like yamahas but in this case I would keep the johnson.

River Explorer

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks I keep going back to the johnson and will more than likely keep it. Fresh water use only but it's a great motor.