SURVEY: 2 STROKES VS 4 STROKES DURABILITY

Forktail

Ensign
Re: SURVEY: 2 STROKES VS 4 STROKES DURABILITY

Walleyehed, who was leaving direct injection 2-strokes out? :confused: <br /><br />A 2-stroke is a 2-stroke, whether it's direct injected or not. Only you and seahorse seem to be hung up on classifying them as something else, or making some point. :confused: As far as I know, the rest of us were including them. <br /><br />Even the article that was posted said, "This article does not compare direct fuel injected 2 stroke models."<br /><br />What part of that don't you understand?<br /><br />BTW, your input on durability throughout this thread has been astonishing. Thanks for addressing the real issue here. :rolleyes:

walleyehed

Admiral

There are carbed 2-stroke Johnson/Evinrude engines in my area that I have either worked on, or O/H'd that have, in some cases, over 4000 hrs., about 50% of those have been rebuilt.<br /> The durability is greatly increased when the engine is run every day so all parts are never subjected to rust, or corrosion, bad, or stale fuel....such as your engines...<br />The ave. person doesn't use an engine like you do, and because of that, the wear rate is greater do to deposites of rust, corrosion, sediment in the fuel/oil, storage time, etc.<br />I have nothing against 4-strokes except maybe weight, cost, and being cold-blooded.<br />Durability doesn't come to mind when I think of 4-strokes at this time. When 25 years have gone by, and the 4-strokes of that vintage have shown the test of time in years, not hours persay, then I'll reconsider my opinion.<br /> You may not know this, but I have posted many times of my employment with Kansas dept. of wildlife and parks, and we USE Merc 4-strokes, and have for 6 years.....I'm not impressed. They were in the shop as much, if not more than the 2-strokes....and quiet at IDLE, yes, at WOT,...can't say it's that noticable. During each 5-day netting session, we'd put about 12-15hrs a day on these rigs, and the western half of Kansas is controlled by 4 biologists, which all use the same 2 boats all year long...1 shocker boat, and 1 net boat.<br />Between net-sets we leave the engine running now because of an ave. of 5 starters per year. We are down to 3 on the net boat and 1 replacement on the shocker boat this last season.<br />I run my own boat (2-stroke) about 200-250 hrs a year, nothing like what we put on the 4-strokes, but I have had very little problem with any of the crossflow OMC's I've owned...oh, I did have a trim relay crap-out one time, and I think I got some fishing line wrapped around the prop-shaft once, and cut a seal. My old 1977, 115 rude has just under 3500 hours, and yea, it's been torn down to put 1 piston in cause I thought it wouldn't last long enough to be worth 4 pistons.....that was over 1000 hrs ago, but I'm as far from an Ocean enviornment as you can get, so that isn't a fair comparison, but I guess 27yrs doesn't count either, so as I said, when the 4-strokes roll over 25yrs., we'll see whats workin' and what ain't.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gentlemen.<br /><br />Do you think it contributes to answering Carlos' question to nit-pick one another's input??<br /><br />Forktail may be one of only a few people in the world with so much real life experience with 4 stroke durability. His input is credible.<br /><br />DFI engines have, so far, not proved as durable as carbed 2 strokes. I think you agree on that. So do I. I think we can also agree that any engine must be correctly operated and maintained to be durable.<br /><br />Please focus on Carlos' question, not on flaws in someone else's input.

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i doubt any one here could guarantee that for example: a 2002 90hp 4 stroke will definatly outlast a 2002 90hp 2 stroke of the same manufacturer, or the other way around! but what you can guarantee is the price is going to be much higher for the four stroke, but all that looks like its changing now with the new two strokes of the future. thats my thought on it anyway! some believe in 4 strokes, some believe in two strokes. which is more durable? we may never know for sure. i just go with what i can afford!