• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

SURVEY: 2 STROKES VS 4 STROKES DURABILITY

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SURVEY: 2 STROKES VS 4 STROKES DURABILITY

I¬īVE SEEN MANY COMPARATIVES POST ABOUT POWER & FUEL ECONOMY BETWEEN 2 STROKES & 4 STROKES ENGINE.BUT, NOW, THE QUESTION IS: IF YOU COMPARE 2 ENGINES (2& 4 STROKE) WITH THE SAME GREAT MAINTENANCE,SAME OIL QUALITY LEVEL, PUSHING SAME BOAT......WHICH ENGINE OFFER MORE DURABILITY?2 OR 4 STROKES?????BOTH OFFER MORE THAN 2000 HRS OF LIFE TIME???THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS CARLOS S.

Re: SURVEY: 2 STROKES VS 4 STROKES DURABILITY

I have a 2003 Suzuki 40 hp on my 17' basstracker. compairing it to a 2 stroke of the same horse power. The suzuki never lets me down. 2 stroke wont either if you take care of it.Holeshot:2 stroke gets the nod.fuel economy: 4 strokeease of maint: 4 strokesmoothness: 4 strokequiet: 4 stroke...(barely hear it running)But if you really want to sh** and get you need to by a bigger 4 stroke to compair to a 2 stroke of the same caliber.Just My Opinion,Suzuki40

Comment

Sirs,Long time ago, I posted a Survey regarding comparative 2 Stroke Vs 4 Stroke OB engines.Could some of you compare both engines about:1- Engine lifetime? (In hours...)2- Engine overhaul cost?3- Mainteanance cost?Ref. engine: 225 Hp. Thanks for your attention.Best regardsCarlos Schemel

Comment

Carlos, Que Pasa amigo? 2 stroke is a much more effecient design, but here in the states, 4 strokes are being pushed onto us because of emissions. Allthough the 4 strokes give a lot of benefits back to us, I think hour for hour the 2 stroke runs better with less maintenance, less cost, and less weight. Down in your world, I think two strokes will be around for a while. If you like quiet and fuel economy, then 4 stroke is your choice.......

Comment

don't need a computer diagnotic tool to work onMY '70 1150

Comment

Me, I'm holding out for an E-tec direct injection 4-rotor Rotary (Wankel).

Comment

Moving to General Outboard.
              sigpic

Comment

Jimd, If I only had the bucks, but a 4 rotor? Wouldn't be that hard to get that power reliably out of a pair of well tuned & maybe turbocharged 13b rotors. 3 rotors would do it easy without the turbo... Great concept; I love that idea!I have observed and worked on a lot of other engines much longer than I have water cooled 2 stroke motors. In my experience the significantly better lubrication of the 4 stroke does add much to its ultimately better durability compared to air cooled two stroke motors. I don't see why the same priciple shouldn't also apply to any well designed 4 stroke (water cooled) outboard motor as compared to a two stroke outboard, perhaps to a somewhat lesser degree. One big question is which particular model motor is well enough designed to last a very long time; which motors have a reputation for giving long service without having to repair things which should not need repairing? I would buy according to specifics more than generalizations. An even bigger question of course is will you be able to find qualified service and parts for that motor? The other issues may not make much difference if needed support is not available.

Comment

I remember seeing a company online that made force fed rotary engines as inboards.. apparently much smaller then traditional inboards.. and just as effective..I'd take an E-tec or a 4 stroke (efi) if weight was not a consideration.. but if holeshot and weight are considerations.. I'd take the E-tec..Plus it just sounds cooler.. :-)rgdsFranki

Comment

I'm leaning toward an E-tec on my next rig. But dang it, I can't get one on a new Whaler.

Comment

i'm with the e-tec!

Comment

Considering my motor is a 1969 Merc 1250 that runs great, I would tend to lean towards 2 stroke. Other than the homelite/bearcat 55 4 stroke that came out in 1961, 4 stroke outboards don't have the history like the 2 strokes. I think the new 4 strokes if maintained well will last a very long time, but I am intrigued by the E-Tec. In my opinion its all in how you care for it. I know a guy who could probably kill a Honda 4 stroke in a years time if given the chance...
                        Project Skanky Beast http://70silverline.250free.com/Skankybeast.html

Comment

...WHICH ENGINE OFFER MORE DURABILITY?2 OR 4 STROKES?????BOTH OFFER MORE THAN 2000 HRS OF LIFE TIME???
                          My experience is that 4-strokes offer better durability and engine life.I might get 2000 hours out of a 2-stroke, but 3000+ hours is not uncommon with my 4-strokes. This is mostly due to the fact that the 4-strokes have a pressurized oil system. The bearings and internals of the engine get a constant and plentiful supply of undiluted motor oil, at any speed. The oil not only helps to lubricate better, but it provides additional cooling and crankcase cleaning. The oil filter collects any contaminates. Add this to the larger displacement engines which fire half as many times and run cooler cylinder temperatures, and durability over time adds up.I think if you contact an outboard manufacturer who makes both 2 and 4-stroke outboards, they will tell you that their 4-strokes offer more durability. I spoke with a Yamaha engineer concerning which would be best for my fleet, and he steered me in the direction of 4-strokes. He has not been wrong. In fact, my operation has saved money using them.

Comment

The following article is of the opinions and statements of AFA Marine, inc. The number one factor lately is whether to purchase a new or used two stroke or four stroke engine. When faced with this decision you must prioritize several features that are prevalent in each motor. For example, two-stroke motors are lighter, faster (in most cases) and less expensive. Four-stroke motors are cleaner, smoother, and more economical. Many people who run in lakes and rivers prefer 4 stroke boat motors because they make great trolling motors and meet the 2006 EPA mandated requirements. Others prefer 2 stroke engines when the need for top end performance and acceleration takes precedence. This is not to say that two-stroke engines cannot troll or four stroke motors are not fast. It's just a matter of preferences, features, and benefits that attract customers. Regardless of what you choose to purchase, if you use due diligence and do your research you cannot go wrong, Below is a table of pros and cons for both motors: 2-Stroke OutboardsPros* Cons* Lighter More Pollution Accelerate Fast, In some Cases More Top End Smoke Purchase Price Less Expensive Must Mix Gas with Oil (Non Oil Injection Models) Easier to Repair Rougher Idle than 4 strokes Have Been Around For Almost 80 Years Noiser than Four Stroke Outboards Very Strong Used Market Harder to Start (in some cases) Parts Availability Carburetors gum up if not used often High Resale Value, High Demand Spark Plug Fouling Simple Design Meaning Less Things To Go Wrong - 4-Stroke OutboardsPros* Cons* Quiet Heavy Smooth Often Expensive to Repair Great Trolling Motors Not As Many Trained Mechanics Yet (Growing Rapidly) No Oil/Gas Mixture Often Expensive to Purchase Smooth Idle Technology Still Being Improved Less Pollution Very Limited Used Market (Although Growing Rapidly) Accepted at Any Body of Water More Parts to Malfunction (Technology Improving)* Future Production will Be all 4-Stroke or Similar Most Not as Powerful as 2-Stroke Rated At Same HP* Very Reliable Harder to transport or position in storage w/o a stand *These are based on AFA Marine's Comparisons. We in no way are responsible for purchasing decisions influenced by the material found on this web page. Please do your own research prior to making an outboard motor purchase. This article does not compare direct fuel injected 2 stroke models. Summary:What should I buy, a 4-Stroke or a 2-Stroke? Well that really depends on your boating situation. Here is list that may help you decide which motor is appropriate for you. Choosing a Four-Stroke Outboard EngineWhen you are required to operate in a "4-Stroke Only" body of water To use as a lake trolling motor when smooth and quiet operation is a priority Larger budget to spend on a motor When weight of engine is not an issue When you feel as though noise and smoke are serious factors in your purchasing decision To use as a kicker or emergency back up motor on your boat. If you don't want the hassle of mixing gas and oil. If you are dissatisfied with two stroke performance Choosing a Two-Stroke Outboard EngineWhen you are not required to operate in a "4-Stroke Only" body of waterTo use as an emergency back up or kicker motorLimited budget to spend on a motorWhen weight of engine is an issue and you want the most power for the weight.Familiarity with engine repairsLimit budge on repair costsHard usage and abuse and you want something that can be modified, repaired, and adjusted easilySpeed, acceleration, top-end, and performance are issues.Interested in finding a good deal on a used motor. There are more used 2-stroke outboards available.If you want motor that all marine mechanics are certified to work on. You really cannot go wrong with either choice. Both motors have their advantages and limitations. Right now you are safe to purchase a 2-stroke motor in most places and not have to worry about being excluded from boating. There are some lakes that require 4-stroke motors but the majority have not adapted these mandates yet. We suggest that you review some of the information on this page as a source of knowledge when it comes time to purchase an outboard motor.

Comment

That article is a bit out of date because it does not include the HPDI, FICHT, E-TEC, and OptiMax DFI motors which have the advantages of a 4 stroke (no smoke, quiet, smooth) but the performance of a 2 stroke. They all meet EPa 2006 emission regulations and can be used wherever a 4 stroke is allowed. Some DFI's have fewer total emissions that the 4-strokes.

Comment

Working...
                              X