how long before water should start coming out **** tube

M1PAINTER

Recruit
100 hp mercury motor how long should it be before you see water coming out **** tube. trying to find out if water pump is working . bottom pisser is working but not sure if top pisser depends on thermostat

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: how long before water should start coming out **** tube

Don't know about your Merc, but my omc comes out in a few seconds. Yours may be different. Are you running it on Muffs? It can make a difference..

M1PAINTER

Recruit

yes I was running it on muffs I just want to make sure I do not do any damage to the motor is there a way to see if water pump is working ( this is a new to me motor i have used Johnson in the past

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />When You run with muffs on the waterintake(s) make sure you have enough waterpressure from the watersource. I know when I have used muffs and not opened the watertap enough there was no water coming out of telltale at first.<br />That is my experience with the outboards I have used and the muff that I use.<br /><br />If top telltale depends on thermostat:<br />On the outboards I have used there is water from telltale almost immediately. So I do not think it depends on opening of thermostat, but I do not "take poison" this is the case for all outboards.<br /><br />You can try to run a wire up the telltale hole to find out if any obstructions, could be as easy as that why no water is coming out of telltale.<br /><br />Good luck!<br />/Bo

phatmanmike

Captain

when i run either of my 3 evinrudes, water comes out within a second, and on my 50 hp, water comes out even while cranking......some motors are a lil diff, just thought id add my 2 cents

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ditto phatmanmike's response, my 50hp evinrude will spray while cranking, but the merc i had didnt start spraying good until you reved it up a little.