95 Sea Ray 220 Repower

SeaRayer220

Cadet
Hey everyone, I currently have a 95 Sea Ray 220 bow rider with a 5.7 Mercruiser giving me so many troubles, I'm wondering what advise you all could give me on repowering to an outboard. I know ( My family ) knows how to retrofit them, but I'm wondering what size HP would do the trick for me, I'm not looking for big speed as I like to just cruise and stop to fish and relax. We love the layout of the boat and don't want to necessarily part with a good Hull.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

alldodge

Staff member
Your 5.7 IS between 1000 and 1200 pounds (alpha/bravo). Motor has around 250hp
A 250 hp outboard weight is 505

alldodge

Staff member
The current I/O weights twice what the same HP OB does. So if you remove the I/O and install a 250 OB it should do better. The down side of an OB is it does not have the same low end torque the 5.7 does. So coming out of the hole may be as good or a bit slower, but top end should be faster. You could go with a smaller OB

alldodge

Staff member
I'm just guessing, but the boat weights in dry at 3700 lb and came with at least a 205 HP 5.0 motor. Note the 5.7 complete weight so, maybe 200. Need to find someone which has done it, but its always good to have more power then needed, thing change, weather can get bad.

Did notice the 220 Laguna center console weight is 3600 with a 205 and 225HP OB.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A few years ago, when 2 strokes ruled the outboard world, I would have said a 200 hp outboard would blow the doors off the same boat with a 5.7 I/O, both in hole shot and top end. But with todays heavy whale sized 4 stroke outboards I don't think I could make the same claim. A Gill bracket would be a good choice once the transom is filled and reinforced. actually about the only way to mount an outboard on a previously I/O boat. A 225 OB would probably go as fast as the 5.7 did.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would feel ok with a 200hp outboard. A 150 or 175 would do the job if you don't mind propping down and cutting top speed. However if you have priced used outboards lately you may find fixing your i/o or selling the boat may be a more financially viable option.