Salt Water vs. Fresh Water

jevans7

Recruit
I have a boat with a 1986 Mercury Black Max 150 and I have only ever taken it in fresh water. I would like to take it out to the San Francisco bay, but I am worried about bringing it into salt water. Can any motor be used in salt water, or do they make motors specifically for salt water? Can I do any damage to it taking it into salt water? If I am able to use it in salt water, what should I do for cleaning afterwards? Just rinse everything off and run some fresh water through with some muffs? Any help is appreciated!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your boat is after the point where shafts were steel.

its salt water not acid

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, the engine should last for at least 10 minutes in salt water. :D

Actually, outboards are generally made for salt water . . some do it better than others, but no need to worry, it will be fine. Flush afterwards if you like.

82rude

Rear Admiral
YOU will be ok.If you were relocating to a salty environment for good most mfg,s recommend a stepped up mtc plan thats it.For an example in my etec manual it clearly states to check and replace IF necessary the water pump impeller every 3 years .For salt water use check more often ,and the same for all other checks. The prime killer of outboard motors be they saltys or fresh is lack of or no care by their owners.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If boat has always been used on fresh water and now will operate in salt water, flushing engine out of water with Salt Away product would be a excellent idea if wanting to have all water paths salt free as when boating on fresh water.

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, OBs are made for salt water. The motor is also 30+ years old. Run her, hose her off inside the cowling and out, flush her and forget it.....