Splash plate question

SalmonTracker

Recruit
Good morning.

I am new to the forum so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong board.

I'd like to ask a question regarding placement of a splash guard for my outboard Jet. Some quick facts here. I am new to outboard jets, I've recently purchased a Tracker 1648 MAX with a 60/40 factory Mercury Jet. I believe the motor is mounted in the correct position however during it's maiden voyage the other night water was pouring over the transom when when I raised the trim while on plane. When the motor was all the way down water would just fly upward on the transom. Is a splash plate needed ? Or is the motor mounted too high ? I know this topic has been beaten to death. I'm sorry for bringing it up again. Maybe someone could post a picture of they're setup so I can get a better idea here.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

That looks like a brand new rig - Is it?

Take it back to the dealer for them to set it up right if you aren't overloading the boat or putting much gear in the back.

Moving this to the outboard question area which might be a better section.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It looks too low, the front edge of the shoe shouldn't be below the hull...but.

​On some aluminum boats with flat, or close to flat bottoms, the motor needs to be mounted slightly lower than normal due to the design of the keel and strakes. The only way to know if it's correct is to raise it up and give it a try.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Which OB brand and HP is it ? Post a pic bit higher showing what's up from ball to have a look.

Happy Boating