New 9.9/15/20hp efi tohatsu's

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering if anyone has seen the specs on these new engines yet? I know they are coming next month according to Tohatsu. I'm extremely anxious to know the 20hp specs as they say it will be the lightest in it's class which the 20hp suzuki is as of now at 97lbs. I can't see it being much lighter,maybe a lb to a few lbs or so. I'm curios what the displacement and gear ratio will be. If it's still at 351 CCs and 2.15 that should make for a pretty fast 20hp imo. That would be sweet but if their cutting weight then I guess will have to see where I guess. I can't wait to see these. I'm sure merc will follow suit since Tohatsu makes all their 30hp and down outboards. The 25/30hp merc is efi but none of the others are. This should be interesting. Will Honda and yamaha follow suit also with their 20hp and down models.

rmcrom

Recruit
I'd like to get one for my 15' jon. Hopefully it's a good motor.

Last edited:

boater1234

Tohatsu makes excellent outboards, probably the best for the money imo. Right now I have a 20hp 4 stroke suzuki and it is a little powerhouse, but I'm wanting to see the specs on the new 20hp 4 stroke efi tohatsu. If it keeps the same 351 CCs ,plus it's cutting a drastic amount of weight off of it I expect it to be the most powerful 20hp on the market. If that all happens I will sell my 20hp suzuki and buy the tohatsu in one second. I have always had awesome luck with the few tohatsu outboards I've bought.

boater1234

Well,don't hold me to this but I found out through another source that the 15/20hp efi models tohatsu will have 333 CCs. Don't know if that's in stone but that is what I heard. Also the electric start is supposed to be around 104lbs.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
333 cc and the manual short is 94.8 lbs. 15 mpg @ wot, or 1.7 gph @ wot. Basically It uses less fuel and pushes a boat faster than any other 20. The Honda has slightly better hole shot by one second, but the Tohatsu beats it and every other brand in every other performance aspect. The test boat for all of them was a 14"6" jon boat with equal loading.

boater1234

I have one on order,can wait to get it soon. One question though,is it still the 14 spline shaft? I ordered an 11 pitch prop for it so I hope it is .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Boater, which boat type are you running ? what's the current factory delivered prop pitch on that OB ?. Did you know that going 1 less pitch will rendered 300 to 600 wot revs on a light watercraft while lightly loaded, so go for an induction tach, best investment ever..

Happy Boating

jbcurt00

Staff member
I have one on order,can wait to get it soon. One question though,is it still the 14 spline shaft? I ordered an 11 pitch prop for it so I hope it is .

Avoid asking the same questions in multiple places. The new topic is probably the best place to ask. It is a long holiday weekend, so some replies may take longer......

Might have considered using the prop forum instead of the non-repair OB discussuons. If you want it moved, just ask any Mod to move it, dont start a 3rd

Oh, and here you didnt specify which hp you have on order