Common consensus on Evinrude 9.9?

Fishingaddict88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at a 2013 14' aluminum tracker boat with a 1996 Evinrude 9.9 outboard. Looks to be electric start and it appears to be in tip top shape. Owner claims it's only seen the water 4 times and has been garage kept. Trailer looks to be in great condition as well. His asking price is $2500

Other than the year and not to sure on the motor (since I know nothing about them), it seems to be a pretty great deal. I'm considering going and looking at it and thought about offering 2k if everything looks ok. Just wanted to make sure I'm not ripping myself off OR sounding like a complete A-Hole with an insulting price...

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Also not sure If it's a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke.

Looking for a boat to hit the local reservoirs with.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When buy anything, it doesn't hurt to offer a lower amount of CASH. The only thing the owner can do is either accept it ot reject it. But that gives you a starting point in the ingratiation effort.

A 9.9 probably would not plane the hull out loaded, but if it is running good, you can always sell it and buy a large engine for your hull if need be. What does the spec plate list as the maximum HP. That would guide you to what engines will work. Of course that all depends on how big the lakes are you have plans to use this setup on. JMHO

Fishingaddict88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Unfortunately 9.9 would be my limit at my local reservoirs. Not necessarily looking for speed, just something to get around the reservoirs on to fish.

Any idea on if the evinrude 9.9 is a decent motor or not?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Unfortunately 9.9 would be my limit at my local reservoirs. Not necessarily looking for speed, just something to get around the reservoirs on to fish.

Any idea on if the evinrude 9.9 is a decent motor or not?
That is an excellent motor I would not hesitate to own one.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Used to have moons back, same exact year OB, end passing it to a 15 HP. Good motor if well serviced and taken care off. The asking price for OB, Boat & Trailer seems right, at least for me, it's all down to how much you want to pay for and seller wants to receive..

Take a small briefcase with you with 2 K in 50 dollar bills and open it in front of seller or carry a pack of money and fan them in front of his eyes, if in need of cash will see how both eyes lights up, both methods never fails.

If wanting much better water performance buy an induction tach and go for a prop maximization, it's day/night difference boating.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Fishingaddict88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not sure, unfortunately the boat has sold in less than 24 hours. I should have just jumped on it.

Thanks again tho

82rude

Rear Admiral
It took that long to sell?Up here it would of been gone almost instantly and for the 2500 too boot.