Advice for first-time outboard purchaser

GreenHoliday

Seaman Apprentice
I hope this is the proper location for this question. I am currently in the process of renovating a 18' Starcraft Holiday. My family has two other Starcrafts (16' and 18'): one has a 4-stroke Suzuki 115 hp (2007) and the other a 4-stroke Yamaha 115 hp (2013). The original plan was to swap one of those motors onto this new (to us) boat and then work on the existing boats over time. An angel investor (read father) has seen the hard work being put into the rehab and has offered to outfit the new boat with a new outboard since he will be the primary user.

I have been tasked with researching the new motor. I have never purchased an outboard before and was hoping for some advice to get the best bang for our buck. Here are some of the factors to consider:

1- Reliability is the #1 concern. We use these boats primarily for fishing and hauling gear over a 20-mile commute to our spot in remote Ontario. It's tough to put a price on reliability when you are out on your own.
2- Fuel consumption. Because we are so remote, gas is not cheap and fuel consumption will be a significant factor over the life of this motor.
3- My dad is willing to buy brand new. That sounds great since it's not my money, but I still would consider buying "newer used." I don't know if that's a thing in the world of outboards. Are there any drawbacks outside of buying anything else used?
4- 115 hp has suited us well over the years and I don't think we need more power unless it is a small price difference to go a little higher.
5- We still have a decent amount of work to do on the boat and it probably won't be splashed by the end of the summer. When do new model years come out? Are there savings to be had by buying "new old" inventory?
6- We aren't the type of people to fuss over quicker hole shots or a .5 mph increase in top end speed.
7- Do manufacturers differ in what is included with the motor, i.e. gauges, wiring, etc..., or is that dependent on the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

robert graham

Admiral
Lots of great 115 HP outboards on the market....most are now 4 strokes....Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Mercury, etc....all are good, efficient, dependable. I personally prefer Yamaha Outboards, having owned a 4HP, 40 HP, 115 HP and now a 90HP....all very good. The availability of a good outboard dealership with qualified mechanics on your particular motor would need to be a strong consideration, especially if you're not accustomed or able to do your own preventive maintenance....like water pumps, oil changes, etc.....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
For my use in remote Ontario, an Evinrude etc 90 should do just fine on that Holiday.
But, your purchase should be based on what servicing dealers are in the area.

I would add a 9.9 Suzuki EFI as a kicker/backup motor. They are relatively light and low cost compared to other brands.

GreenHoliday

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It is still TBD whether the boat will stay in Canada year-round or winter in Ohio. If we leave it in Canada, the marina has done pretty well in the past with the Yamaha and Suzuki we currently have... so we would probably stick with one of those, all other things being equal.

The "leaving it in Canada/bringing it back to the States" issue also complicates the matter of where I buy this engine. I haven't really done my due diligence on figuring out all of the ins and outs of importing the boat into Canada. My preference would be to buy everything in the States and then just leave it up there for the summer and bring it home each winter. In the past, my parents have purchased their boats and motors in Canada to avoid the headache.

82rude, we are in northern Georgian Bay. roscoe, I have thought about a kicker in the past... I will see if it is in the budget after the boat restoration is complete.

Any other thoughts on timing this purchase, or is it just a crap shoot depending on the dealer?

Thanks

82rude

Rear Admiral
Remember one thing too,you get a premium on greenbacks in Canada right now .