Good or Bad Idea.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was thinking in removing my powerhead from base along removing all cylinder head bolts not all 8 at same time, say one by one, clean all threads, slight coat with Permatex anti-seize lubricant, put back and re torque to specs.

Could even go further as to replace a new cylinder head gasket, clean all water paths including exhaust ones, decardon pistons and cylinder head. A $ 25.00 gasket won't stop me from doing that kind of neat work for my peace of mind.

Whichever way I go is the Permatex a good anti seize stuff ? some say that any bolt that was torqued to say 30 NM will not remain so for a long time, this stuff seems like loosens bolts with time, so a re torque must be performed from time to time which don't have an issue to do periodically. Comments are welcome and appreciated.

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I think Permatex #2 and #3 are good anti-sieze material for salt water. If you remove one bolt at a time, you should not need to replace the head gasket. I also do not think you will need to retorque the bolts.

"good idea"

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There's a slight droplet water intrusion on combustion chambers and salt water thin white line formation around cylinder gasket which needs a cylinder gasket re torque back to specs. As you know head gaskets needs a periodic re torque to from time to time as gaskets cedes, compresses, hardens with heat, but nobody does it, counting with a precise torque wrench tool could be costly.

On my OB last full restoration, broke 4 bolts inside powerhead while removing them, seems that factory just screws bone dry bolts onto powerheads and voil?, with time and salt water cooling powerhead, will end having a seized condition.

Will : Permatex 77134 Nickel Anto Seize Lubricant work well for my application? In ten more metered worked hours will finally know which route will go after, thanks.

Happy Boating

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I have had a pint can of that stuff for years (many) and my theory is " if it's got threads; it gets coated." I know a little goes a long way.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
I use Loctite Silver Grade anti-sieze and use it on all threads as well...I use it "for the next guy" (and often I AM the next guy).

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Been using OMC triple guard blue gresae slight coating all my OB's threads & bolts with excellent results so far, just wanted to give this Permatex 77134 a try...

Happy Boating