1989 Sea Ray bow rider 160 O/B engine options mounting question

hipster

Cadet
Hi, we got without motor & have a Johnson transom clamp-on motor but need an adapter of some sort to mount?? It has the 4 bolts mounting for a mercury motor on transom. Is this doable or are we forced to get a mercury motor? TIA!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You should be able to bolt any motor on there, if you have a clamp on motor you can just clamp it on. You should fill the old holes with something if they aren't being used, marine caulk works. To connect the steering to an older clamp on type motor requires an adaptor.

hipster

Cadet
I guess the motor wont tilt up because it hits the transom? and yes it needs some type of bracket/rigging for the steering too??

hipster

Cadet
No Title

The original motor(a mercury 100hp) mounted to 4 bolts coming thru the transom but the johnson clamps on to the transom and it needs an adapter to "raise it" or extend it out away from the transom in order to lift/tilt upwards I believe...its my son's & I know very little of boats lol

Attachments

• photo270170.JPG
    photo270170.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
That pic is so close we can't see much, what is the motor hitting to prevent it from being tilted?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, outboard mounting bolt pattern has been standard for both Merc and OMC for a while. Also, larger motors that have clamps-only have been phased out over the years. What motor are you trying to install?

You might remove those residual OB mounting bolts, as they must surely be in the way of the new motor. Also, Mercury controls and wiring will not work with OMC motors and vice versa.

hipster

Cadet
Yea, got it with no motor. my son(his boat) got a 1970 Johnson 40hp w/controls at a great price. I know its under-powered considerably since new it had a 100hp. I was hoping there might be a bracket/mount/extender made to utilize the existing pattern on the one end & a setup for "any" clamp style motor to be used. wish we could just find the right motor & mounts to just bolt her up! wtf.....

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
No, there is no optional clamp/mount adaptor to switch between the two, And on 99.9999% of the boats tilting wouldn't be an issue with either motor and no modification is needed.