Re Power question

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking to re power my 16 foot Starcraft aluminum open bow. It currently has a mercury 70hp (with bad cyl). It is rated for 90hp max. I have found a 35hp mercury with trim/tilt or a 90hp Force. I like the idea of weight savings with 35 but worried about being under powered. I like the power of the 90 however not exited about the weight of the 90. I use the boat for trolling on Lake Michigan and family cruising primarily. Thoughts?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
35 might get it on plane if its lightly loaded.... Its not going anywhere fast even then.

I'd be looking for a bigger engine than the 35. Generally you want to use 80% to 100% of max rated HP.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A 16 ft with a 35 is not going to be a speed demon by any means, top speed will be under 25 mph. It will be more economical at trolling than the 70 or the 90, but it will struggle when trying to carry a load of passengers

82rude

Rear Admiral
For safetys sake id stay away from a 35 hp on her.Lake Michigan can be unforgiving.

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was hesitant on the 35 so going to look at the Force 90hp tonight. It's a 1990 anything in particular to look for? I can't hear it run but will do compression check

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The Force isn't a great choice, even though they have a bit of a following here it's not because they're great motors.

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well dug up one other option being a mid 70's Johnson 70hp. So it's between 1991 Force 90hp or 1970's Johnson 70hp. Thoughts?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Use to have Force motors, but no more.
There are a few guys who still like them but they are all mechanics who enjoy working with them.
Force has been out of production since 1999.
There are very few shops left that will even work on one of them, even less that know how to fix them.
There is limited parts availability and no factory parts support.
If it was 1995 or newer, I might consider it, if it was cheap and if it was in perfect condition, and if it could run it on the water.
But that 1990 is a hodgepodge mess of parts slapped together during a year the company was sold.
1960's and 1980's tech bolted together to make something to sell.
And the fact that you can't run it, means that it is a parts motor, and is valued as such, $300.

Keep looking.
The 35 is going to struggle to get on plane even when you are alone.
A 50 will work on your 16 SS, but not well with the family loaded up.
Best power to weight ratio is going to be a light 60 or 70 hp.

If see from your profile, you are in Green Bay, what's your budge????? someone here may be able to help locate a motor for you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Actually, with the upward trend in used outboard prices the last few years, you may be better off buying a different boat.
In a few weeks, more boats will be on the market, people trying to sell boat before winter.

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My issue is that my budget is set at 1000 per management. (my wife) outboard prices are ridiculous. Im usually an I/O guy and am starting to remember why.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I hear you.

But here is a deal.
Sell the Yamaha T-8 withe the auto pilot and your cost is down to $1000.
Then sell the old boat and trailer cheap and fast, and your cost is down to $500.
Sell off any extra down riggers and gear, NET cost is now $0.00

Then you have a family boat, and an easily trailerable and very capable Lake Michigan boat.

Good Luck. Prime fishing is just ahead.

https://appleton.craigslist.org/boa/6203681054.html

00T0T_2FA5NeslO9Z_600x450.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
And a cabin to get out of the sun and rain, and plenty of storage space.
And an i/o which you prefer.

Now what wife wouldn't understand that?

Last edited:

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The one that surprised me for fathers day with the 16 foot boat to replace the 25 foot cruisers I got rid of last summer lol.

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Saturday I ended up buying a 1996 Force 90hp. I got a very good price on it and being made by mercury feel better about it than older Force engine.
With that said I had it out for first time yesterday. Motor works great does 41mph on gps. Was out on the bay of Green Bay and got caught in some un forecasted weather. Waves went from a chop to 3-4 in minutes. Had I not listened to advice here and went with 35hp I would not have had the power I needed to stay safe in those waves. Was very reassuring to have the 90 and the power to keep boat right. Thanks everyone for the help.