2 stroke oil

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Someone put this on my toolbox, don't know who. Is tc-w 2 oil usuable these days? The Chrysler can only says tc-w on it, no 2-3 markings at all.

Attachments

• photo268183.jpg
    photo268183.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Want to use both oils with old or new OB's ? The norm is now TC-W3 rated for most 2 strokes OB's..

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Using 2 sealed pints of TC-W2 won't cause any problems. I would use them, but not on back to back refueling.

I wonder if the sealed cans have any collector value, especially the Chrysler Crew can? Frank the Picker collects oil cans.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Using 2 sealed pints of TC-W2 won't cause any problems. I would use them, but not on back to back refueling.

I wonder if the sealed cans have any collector value, especially the Chrysler Crew can? Frank the Picker collects oil cans.

​well,good thought, on collectors. I have 4 Chrysler, ones.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't run either these days. The TCW spec is between 45 and 50 yrs old. TCW-2 is about 31 yrs old. TCW-3 is about 20 yrs old. I remember running the Chrysler oil in our 57 35hp Evinrude and 63 40hp Electramatic in the early-mid 70s. Otherwise it was OMC oil(There weren't Evinrude or Johnson oils in Canada)

82rude

Rear Admiral
There may be some small value in them to collectors especially if unopened.Personally i would not care as i would just like to have them for their looks and to me it matters not filled or no but some people pay more for unopened.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think I'll just put them up for sale, and contact pickers and see what Frank has to say, I think they are of more value than Frank will pay, as they have to make a profit.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
thats some old stuff, I wouldnt use either, probably amuch diffearnt blend then todays stuff. that probably wont mix well, with current oils mixing evan trace amounts of 2 stroke oils is a bad idea.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Obviously older engines that used such oils worked very well or we wouldn't have so many older engines still around today. However, I wouldn't use them because I think they are neat to own for conversation pieces. But that is just me.

We all want the absolute best oils we can get for our engines, which is totally obvious with the question cropping up near monthly. And some times the answers get heated as well. But in reality, most any oil will make them work for a long time to come. If they are marketed and specify they meet or exceed manufacturer's specifications, I will use them with out worry. JMHO

82rude

Rear Admiral
Cannot add anything to your excellent post gm280 my feelings exactly.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those old oils did have a very nice smell to them once burnt

82rude

Rear Admiral
Those old oils did have a very nice smell to them once burnt

Better and healthier smell than the g-oil i use to use in my old 90 .Had to stop using it i gained 25 lbs as it always smelled like cooking fries in oil!:D

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thvat oil is designed to run with a different fuel formulation. Fuel in the 70s was leaded and did not have all the additives they do now. Fuel nowadays has every chemical they can possibly throw in for cleaner burning and keeping fuel systems clean.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Thvat oil is designed to run with a different fuel formulation. Fuel in the 70s was leaded and did not have all the additives they do now. Fuel nowadays has every chemical they can possibly throw in for cleaner burning and keeping fuel systems clean.

The Chrysler oil is 70s vintage, the Johnson oil, being TCWII is post 1986. However you are right about Gasoline being much different than it was in the 70s and 80s. Todays gas doesn't even smell like gas, more like a cheap cologne