Johnson outboard VRO question..

mossanimal

Recruit
Hi.. I just bought a Lund with 1990 V4 110hp outboard and the oil injector alarm doesn't work. The previous owner looked into it and said it was very expensive to repair. If this does turn out to be true... would folks recommend disabling the VRO and mixing directly in the tank? And if I decide to do this... is this a DYI project or something I should take to a mechanic (Other than annual maintenance I'm not much a shade tree mechanic).

Thanks a lot!

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would just mix it in the tank that way you never have to worry about it ever again. And getting stranded isn't as fun as it sounds. Lol.

ahicks

Captain
I would disable the VRO. To help make the call on whether to do it yourself, just Google "disable OMC VRO". That will yield an afternoon of reading, should answer your question.

There are those that prefer to keep them in good working order, but replacement parts can be really expensive, and trusting the existing original pump, at this age, is getting harder and harder.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
The change over is really easy and can be done for less than $100.00. I did a motor I had which was a 1987 90hp. Johnson made both VRO and non-VRO models, so just buy the impulse pump for the non VRO. Reusing the plastic fuel manifold tubing really helps getting everything plumbed. The VRO is totally removed from the motor. It was a fairly easy couple hour project. I also removed the quick disconnect fuel connector and replaced it with a barbed splice fitting. The quick disconnect was a source of past headaches.