Hit Rock Motor Wont Start

Charlie0821

Recruit
Hi All,

This weekend after a great day out on my pontoon I hit some rocks on my way back to the slip. The engine shut off and wont start back up, the prop and lower unit have no visible damage. Any idea of what could be wrong and how I can diagnose it before I have a repairman come look at it? The motor is a 2012 Mercury Outboard 50hp Bigfoot. Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check if any electrical wire has come off, or any fuse has blown..

Happy Boating

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Being a new motor and fuel injected, I bet it has some kind of safety 'fuel shut off switch' if it senses a hard hit.. Just a guess :)

82rude

Rear Admiral
If you get nothing atall check your safety lanyard switch it may be defective..David has an excellent idea also i know most all cars have a shut off for the fuel system in the event of a collision i wonder if newer outboards do too?Also check all fuses under the cowling.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Although is an excellent idea about fuel auto shut off, should be stated on Owner's Manual troubleshooting data...

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Likely sheared the flywheel key and now the timing is off

racerone

Supreme Mariner
NO damage to the lower unit and prop ???----I think something broke internally in the motor.-

Fed

Commander
Six days & no response, straight to my DNR (Do Not Respond) file, the list is getting longer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Did OB finally started ? if so, but with no forward thrust, remove safety red cord from control box, engage forward gear, turn flywheel with hand or electrically and check if prop rotates. If not, probably drive shaft upper splines are shot, have a broken shaft or with gear case issues.

Happy Boating