New 50hp 4stroke or tldi 2stroke

Disschord

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I am looking for a new 50hp and I am trying to decide between a tohatsu 50 4stroke and a tohatsu 50 tldi 2 stroke.

Any input welcome

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
TLDI is 2 strokes upgraded technology, responds much faster than 4 strokes...less parts to look after, change means lower maintenance costs. Just add 2 strokes oil and fuel...

Happy Boating

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
+1 on the TLDI. Better performance, less maintenance. There is a reason most outboards were 2 stroke for the last 100 years.

82rude

Rear Admiral
List the pro and cons of both and decide what is most important and appealing to you.I went through the same thing but it was merc 60 4 stroke or evinrude 60 etec.I chose evinrude and have been happy with my selection.If there had of been a tohatsu dealer around theres a darn good chance i would of bought a 70 tldi or close to that hp.Anybody ive ever met fishing that owns a tldi and ive talked to loves them.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't know a single person who would go back to a 2 stroke after running a 4 stroke

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Although Tohatsu, Merc, Evinrude uses the TLDI/ETEC fuel inyected systems That technology was developed and belongs to a Company Called Orbital Corp that had taken out a patent on the direct injection electric control system. In 1988 Tohatsu made an agreement with Orbital in order to fully develop the Direct Inyection System, technology which was later introduced into the TLDI/ETEC OB series.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
Brp says the injector is their own design.Looking at toh and etecs they are not even close to the same.Maybe merc and toh are the same .Suffice to say were a little off topic for the posters question .Personally id go with the toh tldi over the 4 stroke of the same make .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you're referring to an injector on its own, it's just a part of the entire system. Not saying that Orbital sells that systems, just developed and patented it moons back way before ETEC used it, if wanting using anybody's patented technology can always pay royalties, or wait for the patent to expire and make your own system derived from that technology...

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
Sea rider fuel injection was really from around the early thirties i believe..So technically we have improved on it over the years.:D Its actually quite amazing what we think of as so called modern tech was actually originally from the 1st half of the 20 th century .Front wheel drive,supercharging,fuel injection ,electric cars.I get your point tho.Are you seeing any of the 90hp parsuns in your neck of the woods ?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you're referring to an injector on its own, it's just a part of the entire system. Not saying that Orbital sells that systems, just developed and patented it moons back way before ETEC used it, if wanting using anybody's patented technology can always pay royalties, or wait for the patent to expire and make your own system derived from that technology...

Happy Boating
OMC had a hand in designing both the Orbital and the ficht systems. They ditched the Orbital to go with the ficht instead. Mercury went with the orbital system and eventually bought it and tohatsu uses it under license from them. The E-tec and the Optimax are VERY different systems they have nothing in common. Tohatsu had nothing to do with designing the TLDI that is just what they call their version of the Optimax system.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Call it what you like its still vastly improved over the original.So much that their not even in the same planetary system .Your 100 percent correct if my motor had of said ficht anywheres i would of bought oars instead,lol.The new injectors are higher pressure apparently and instead of a mechanical plunger are voice coil style.Plus the motor itself uses more robust parts and better materials.Saying a etec is just a better ficht is like saying a zl-1 vette is just a better cruze.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Call it what you like its still vastly improved over the original.So much that their not even in the same planetary system .Your 100 percent correct if my motor had of said ficht anywheres i would of bought oars instead,lol.The new injectors are higher pressure apparently and instead of a mechanical plunger are voice coil style.Plus the motor itself uses more robust parts and better materials.Saying a etec is just a better ficht is like saying a zl-1 vette is just a better cruze.

No saying an E-tec is a better Ficht is just saying an E-tec is a better ficht. The voice coil injector was on the Ficht engines to. They have already made your E-tec old technology with the introduction of the G2. The G2s I have seen are heads and tails above the old E-Tec. Your vette reference makes no sense

This is the last thing I will say about that.

82rude

Rear Admiral
OMC FITCHS did not have the voice coil as ive read it .When brp took over they corrected several issues and i have to think one was the injector.Either ive read it wrong and if so send me a link and i will man up and admit im wrong.This isnt a fight its suppose to be a discussion all im telling you is what ive read so far.Peace my friend no ill will intended i respect your opinions and input..

82rude

Rear Admiral
Forget anything ive said today guys.Ive had a death in the near family and shouldnt even be on here im not being my self today.Again im sorry for any slights they were not intended.