multimeter?

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
what basic multimeter do you guys recommend for an outboard motor owner to buy to test with?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can't beat a free meter from Harbor Freight using one of their Super Coupons. And you won't feel bad when it's knocked in the water. It will serve 99.999% of your needs.

Why use a Cadillac when you can throw a Ford in the bottom of a tool box or bag.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I had a fluke and couple other good ones, now I use the cheap, or free at times, harbor freight ones, they aren't great, but close enough for most jobs. And like mentioned, you don't care what happens to them.

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use a Fluke, but I keep a HF one in the boats tool box.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a harbor freight meter in the boats tool box and one in each car. My main meter is a fluke 83, however the free meters work and if you get the leads tanled in the belts or the meter gets dropped, you dont feel bad

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Most of the testing you will use a MM for are voltage readings or continuity. Most any MM will work for those. Cheap MMs tend to be inaccurate when measuring resistance values. The good news is that the resistance values you need to measure are usually restricted to coils, and even a cheap MM can be effective, if you know how to use them. You can use the continuity setting to check the wiring harness and diodes, with decent results.

Ignition coils generally have a few ohms of resistance across the primary winding and much more resistance across the secondary winding. A cheap mm could read a dead short across the primary winding, and some hundreds of ohms across the secondary winding. Those readings most always indicate the coil is good. Also, a cheap MM will usually read voltage pretty accurately.

In summary, a good MM is only essential for an experienced electrical technician or engineer, IMHO. For your purposes, a $15 MM from Home Despot will work fine.

Note: Some Digital MMs can make checking rectifiers difficult. I therefore always liked the analog MMs best.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
For the shop, Fluke and Simpson 260 series. I use my Fluke for most everything. I just like how it auto ranges and has most any type capability one could ask for from any meter. I do have the el cheapo meters as well, but honestly I never grab any of them when trouble shooting anything. I just trust the Fluke that much over anything else. As for dropping the Fluke, oh yea I have dropped it so many times a can't even count them anymore. But with the rubberized cover they come with, nothing ever happens to them. They are that rugged. But whatever you like is the best for you. There is no one perfect anything when it comes to personal preference.

I do like my analog Simpson 260 if testing pots or charging capacitors to watch as they sweep and charge. You can spot a suspect pot so much easier watching the needle sweep its range. I like both types for their unique capabilities. But that is just me and not saying others need to follow my opinions. There are lots of good quality meters in both digital and analog. JMHO

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For outboard use need a analog or digital Multimeter that reads DVA outputs to check electrical & electronic components outputs properly..

Happy Boating

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great info guys...so what I need to test is a cdi unit and a coil on a Nissan 18hp 2-stroke that isn't producing spark. what setting on the multimeter do I use?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The setting depends on the test being done, it could be from very basic, to advanced. Get the CDI troubleshooting instructions and see what you need for the testing you plan to do.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Great info guys...so what I need to test is a cdi unit and a coil on a Nissan 18hp 2-stroke that isn't producing spark. what setting on the multimeter do I use?

Unless you are using an auto ranging meter, you have to select the voltage range or resistance range depending on what you are trying to test.

If you are to read DC voltage and it is in the 10 to 20 volt range, then select the range that allows you to read in that range. But you have to understand your meter as well. Meters can be so different from one to another. See what yours does and then select the range to cover those readings.

If you have a 10 volt, 100 volt and 1000 volt scales and you are trying to read 15 volts, set it on the 100 volt scale. And that is because the 10 volt scale isn't high enough to read 15 volts. Same with resistance scales. Usually there is R X 1, R X 10, R X 100 and so on. And if you are trying to read an ohmage in the 50 ohm range, select the R X 10 range. That means everything the meter displays will be 10 time that reading.

You usually want to select a range so the voltage and/or resistance you are trying to read falls in the middle of the range. That is the best place for the most accurate readings for both digital and analog meters. Hope that helps you out some. JMHO

Ask if you need more info.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
just picked up an el'cheapo Cen-Tech digital multimeter. it has DCA, DCV, Ohms 200-2000k.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A friend of mine at work has a relatively cheap meter...$50 or so. Was nearly a volt off when measuring his battery voltage on his car. He is going to buy a Fluke now. You can get slightly used ones on eBay for around $100.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
On those 18 HP, Exciter Coil must read 100DVA min and CD 198-220 DVA current, both while cranking OB. If measured with any multimeter being analog or digital without DVA reading capilities be aware that will read just about anything, so useless!!

Recommended DVA multimeters :

Analog : Electonic Specialties model : M-530
Digital : Electronic Specialties model : KD-3200

A must have handy to properly troobleshool electically any Tohatsu/Missan/Mercury OB's..

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume that all other OB brands must troubleshoot their electrical ignition systems with DVA Volts capability multimeters.

For that matter, Electronic Specialties Company has released an adaptor model 640 that can be plugged to any digital multimeter to read peak DVA Volts on outboards ignition systems, At $ 39.50, it's a must go for it if wanting to read exact DVA Volts when troubleshooting electrical ignition systems.

640.jpg

At his price, this adaptor saves buying a complete digital multimeter unit that can cost as twice the adaptor along saving boater paying out of this world astronomical hand labor prices when troubleshhoting electrical ignition systems at dealer's shop. Ain't that cool & sweet....

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The ES530 which you can purchase here on iboats is what you need to accurately test a outboard ignition without purchasing separate components(DVA adapter). There is no digital meter made with a built in DVA setting......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I realize some meters are better at some reading then others. However, the number of time most people will ever need to read a DVA voltage reading is so few times, I think a home-built adapter is the better cheaper way to go. And since the part count for such an adapter is so few, the cost is well less then $10 dollars as well. More like $5 dollars even if you include shipping of the parts. Just offering my 2 cents for what it is worth. JMHO